BC 4x4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought and had shipped up from Texas to my friend's place in Arlington WA, my first "classic" vehicle...a 1965 International Scout 80. I drove it up from Arlington myself, ran great! The border was easy, in and out in no time, however, I took it into get the safety inspection done today... last step before being able to register it, and unfortunately it failed miserably.

Basically, all the brakes are shot...all 4 wheels. The drums are so thin that 1 has even had a fairly large chip or hole in it. Also, the wheel cylinders are close to or already are leaking as well, or will be leaking once the other brakes issues are dealt with, same with the rear brake lines. So basically, everything needs to be replaced...along with the fact it is a single reservoir master cylinder and drum brakes all around...the performance isn't the best.

Also, the front end is also not looking very good...tie-rod ends are completely shot. Needless to say, a little more than I bargained for at this point.

The mechanic I took it to mentioned to me, depending on what I wanted to use the Scout for, was to think about putting the body of the Scout onto a newer running chassis...something like an S10...will be more expensive now, but be more drivable as well as future proof as far as parts and stuff goes. (The Scout only has a 152ci 4 banger with a 3speed manual tranny)

So now I am in the middle of doing a bunch of research to see where I sit cost wise for all this. Doesn't look like I will be able to drive it anytime soon as I won't be able to pass inspection until I do something to it.

The cost for replacing all the parts and having them shipped is about $1500 for the brakes, and I haven't even bothered to look at the front end stuff. Even if I were to go this route I would still have a 3-speed, 4-banger with drum brakes, no power, and essentially could not even be driving much over 80kph.

I have found a few people who have been able to swap the Scout 80 body (which mine is in good shape, pictures attached) onto the running gear of a shortened Scout 2. This gives the benefits of v8 power, disc brakes, power steering, power brakes etc...

You can get rusted out Scout 2's for pretty cheap down in WA state, and have found a guy down there who has done this sort of thing before, but what I am wondering is, is there anyone in the Surrey/Langley area that would take on this sort of thing, could do it "properly" and here is the kicker...be fair in price for doing the work?

Any info/help in regards to this would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Fix all the issues that were on the safety. Do it slowly over time, do it yourself and keep an original beauty the way it was meant to be. Than register it as a collector vehicle, which will give you all your money back from icbc (lower insurance rates)over a couple of years.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Fix all the issues that were on the safety. Do it slowly over time, do it yourself and keep an original beauty the way it was meant to be. Than register it as a collector vehicle, which will give you all your money back from icbc (lower insurance rates)over a couple of years.
Gotta have the original wheels first.Sweet little rig though.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
fix it ........keep it original make it ur DD........or build a crawler..........

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I suggest you shop around on-line. Here is an example on the cost of new wheel cylinders with a quick search I did at Summit Racing: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294897832+4294924707+115+4294922533. Tierod ends are simple to do and yours are cheap! http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOG%2DES262L&N=700+4294897832+4294924707+4294925130+115&autoview=sku The trick is to count the threads before you unscrew the ends and put the new ones on the exact number of threads. This will make it driveable to get to a proper alignment shop. Like the others said, do the work yourself and do it in your spare time. You will learn about your vehicle and save some cash to buy the origonal rims for classic car status.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
You didn't give it much of a look over before you bought it heh:cwm36:

I agree keep it original. Very cool looking rig.

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts
I'd keep it on the chassis and find a good donor truck to swap driveline and axles into and make it a DD/weekend mild 'wheeling rig (way too pretty to bang up! Damn that thing's clean). That'd get you the disc brakes and possibly a newer 4 banger if you want stay that route, or a small V8 or I6. I know its sacrilege but a Jeep 4.0L, 5 spd, t-case, and maybe even a D30 and 8.25 on 31s would be close to the right width? Or a 345 V8 auto and newer Scout axles? Just a couple of ideas. LR

·
Registered
36 Posts
Before doing anything else, find a new mechanic! Brakes and steering work = new chassis? Whatever... Fixing it will be way cheaper and it will be more capable with it's original straight axle than the independant set up from an S-10. What's he going to suggest next, an SAS?

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
A new chassis seems pretty dramatic.

Swap in a disk brake front axle out of a newer version, change the master cylinder and combination valve to the parts out of the newer version as well, and replace the rear brakes and drums.

Then you'll have no braking problems at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey all,

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I know the front end parts are cheap and easy to do... it is the brakes that are expensive...I am also running on a tip right now that a certain Ford drum can replace an IH drum for the Scout... still looking into it tho.

Yes, I was more along the lines of swapping out the axles than replacing the entire running gear, but I wanted to at least talk to somebody who does this sort of thing in order to get prices.

I like to figure out all my options, yes including selling it, before I make my decision on what I want to do. When I bought it I was hoping a little more for a DD than a collectible... I want something I can drive around in the Summertime...and maybe do a little off-roading in. As the Scout stands now, it would be simply a collectible (with new wheels) and not much of a driver.

It also has a brand new soft top (that is what is in the box in the picture) as well as a completely stripped original metal roof for it (ready for some body work and paint).

I was hoping people could point me to a place in Surrey/Langley or anywhere in the Fraser Valley that I could at least chat with to get an idea on price for doing such a swap...not saying I am doing it, just look at ALL my options first.

Shipping parts isn't too much of a problem, already have a friend in WA state I can have them shipped too, that is where the Scout was shipped to in the first place before I drove it up)...and yes I knew there was some brake work to be done on it, just didn't know it wouldn't pass inspection as is...mostly because of the inner drum circumference, which is hard to see on initial inspection. Although the guy I bought it from, once he heard about the brakes, is sending me a cheque for $500 to partially cover the brakes if I go that route.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for those links... there are some parts there that are significantly cheaper! I may be able to fix it up, get it inspected, then deal with everything else after...

You can bet I will keep everybody informed on my IH Scout, and will be coming back for more info. And still, if people know of great places both online and locally, please send them my way...again pretty new to this stuff, or at least haven't done it for a while.

Cheers!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have a discount code from rockauto if you do go with them. I think it is for 10% off.

·
Registered
536 Posts
nice looking rig
disc brake conversion would be best,,you can still get collector plates with updated brakes
if your looking for a place to do this let me know ,i can help

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Maybe worth your while talking to the guys at Jeep Thrills about doing some of the work. I would try and keep it as stock as possible.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/ might have some information for you from people that have had similar problems with brakes, etc.

Possible Front Brake Upgrade Options

http://completeoffroad.com/i-123975-cj-jeep-disc-brake-kit-dana-25-27-30.html

Here is a good thread about this guys build up of a Scout 80

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45700&highlight=disc+brake+conversion

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi desteurm,

Thanks for the tips... yeah I am all over the Binder Bulletin boards....been reading a lot on that forum for the past couple months. That is where I have been getting most of my suggestions as far as swaps goes...now I was just trying to move things a little closer to home as far as people who could help out etc...

I've thought about the Jeep people too, but wasn't sure if there was some sort or rivalry as far as Jeep vs. Scout vs. Bronco etc... hahaha

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Hi desteurm,

Thanks for the tips... yeah I am all over the Binder Bulletin boards....been reading a lot on that forum for the past couple months. That is where I have been getting most of my suggestions as far as swaps goes...now I was just trying to move things a little closer to home as far as people who could help out etc...

I've thought about the Jeep people too, but wasn't sure if there was some sort or rivalry as far as Jeep vs. Scout vs. Bronco etc... hahaha
Everyone loves a good ol' scout:cwm30:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts