BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a massive brain fart.

What do you do in order to figure out optimum collapsed and extended shock lengths???

You take the shocks off the suspension, jack up the vehicle and measure lower mount to upper mount at full droop??? Is that right???

David

PS
Any local supplier of Doestech shocks?

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
412 Posts
hey (again...)David. when i was hunting for shocks after getting my breeze spoa,everyone i asked (not the breeze guys they were great and spot on with their advice)was either vague on the subject or steadfast damn the torpedoes full speed ahead with their opinions....for max EXTENDED shock length having the vehicle jacked up on the corner you choose(not under the axle)should give you the aproximate droop for that wheel's shock-but as they all say "out in the real world" things usually flex more than you can duplicate with a jack in the drive way.for max COLLAPSED shock length,jack the vehicle up under the axle beside the tire you measure for that shock.at least that's what i did,and coupled with the estimates from stuart at breeze as to what the shocks should be,everything worked out perfectly...if anyone else reads this and says what a git! don't do it that way! i won't take too much offense heehee but aside from just a better way i don't think my way was completly homer simpsonish.....(i left my tires on,and jacked the uzi up 'til the tire left the ground on the corner i was measuring for too)

------------------
A.K.A. uzi9mm

[This message has been edited by lane smith (edited August 10, 2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey David,

Find a RTI ramp (breeze has one), disconnect all the shocks, drive up the ramp until one of the tires comes off, then measure. Do it reverse and forwards, that should give you the compressed and extended lengths on all 4 wheels.

HTH,
Robin.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ok This might sound like a stupid question but...

by doing these measurments are finding the middly point, and if so once you have found it, how do you set your shocks so that they ride in that spot?

Still in the learnin curve here.

-Flyboy

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Flyboy:
Ok This might sound like a stupid question but...

by doing these measurments are finding the middly point, and if so once you have found it, how do you set your shocks so that they ride in that spot?

Still in the learnin curve here.

-Flyboy
Well...

I'm still on the learning curve too, and I'm trying to reconcile "car" vs. "truck" preferences, but here's my opinion.

I don't think you actually want the truck to sit in the "middle" of the shock when you're at rest. I THINK you want to sit with the truck so that the shock is more collapsed - maybe 2/3 collapsed and 1/3 extended. I also think that you want to buy a shock that has more "push" force (rebound) than "pull" force (compression). The reason is that a "bump" is really just the top part of a hole - the goal is to have the shock keeping the tires on the ground at all times. Think of washboard. If the compression of the shock is too stiff you bounce off the bump, sending your tire in the air. If the rebound is too soft, you fly over the hole without "pushing" the tire down into the hole, once again leaving your tire in the air.

So... it's not just ride position but the relative stiffness of the shock in it's rebound and compression phases (which also relates to vehicle weight). I'm installing Rancho 5000's this weekend and will report on whether their "stiffness" is good or bad.

As usual this is all IMO, YMMV, etc. etc.

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You don't really need to find the middle point for the shocks if you know the fully extended and fully compressed lengths.

If you install the shock mounts/shocks so that at full axle compression you have maybe an inch of shaft left sticking out of the shock then you should be ok. This is assuming that you have bumpstops or shocks with built in bumpstops like the doetsch techs. This will allow your shock to fully compress without bottoming out and will leave you as much down travel as possible.

Robin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts