BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I carry a Remington 870 with 18.5" barrel and pistol grip. this is loaded with 3" magnum slugs. If you plan on using this to save your life you'd better practice shooting slugs. It took me awile to get accurate with the pistol grip. I shoot skeet for practice. The first time I shot a slug I missed the 20" dia. log that was 10 feet away from me 3 times.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
That's why the Rem 870 12ga is so nice. It's small and you can have the tube full with no danger of shooting it by accident. I can pull my 12ga out of my back pack from over my head and have a shell in the chamber pretty quik.
I do know a guy that killed a grizzly with a knife, true storey but not recomended. Bear spray is for hippy's.

It is true that bears are normally the least of your worries, but in the northern rockies, I'm ready for anything that wants to eat me for supper.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Holy crap.

If you don't like guns, don't enter a thread called "firearms".

Some people like carrying guns, some don't. Nobody asked why your so chicken shit of guns so keep it to your self.

Shoot it, kill it, skin it.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I wish you did, it's always a good time. I work in the bush too bud.

Like I said, this be a firearms thread, maybe you should start your own "******** that scare me" thread.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
100% not a myth. Even their hide will stop bullets without enough juice behind them. Happened to friends out hunting last season.

I met a man with half a face because he came across the wrong bear. Convincing enough to keep me trigger happy for life.

To the OP, any of the guns people have talked about would be fine. Have both an 870 and a mossberg 500. I like were the safety is on my 500, but we have had WAY less problems with my 870. But like everyone else said, it doesn't matter what you have if you can't shoot it. Set up a tire to roll down a gravel pit at you while you try shoot it. Very humbling.

Tire rolling down a hill in a gravel pit. Very good idea.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hmm, some more food for thought. Notice the 870 comes in a 10" pistol-grip. That seems much more portable than the 16". Any reason not to go that small?

Thanks for the input! The tire rolling trick is a good idea.

edit: Also, what problems have you had with the 500?
That was on the verge of being illegal last I heard. Anyone know any different?

I was going to get one 2 yrs ago but never got around to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.