BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our province can often pose more threats than just challenging terrain and weather. I'm planning to be out in grizzly and cougar territory this summer, and not excited about running into anything bigger than me that can run much faster than me, especially if it wants to eat me.

Do you guys carry anything to protect yourselves from the local wildlife? I've been looking around trying to research firearms. I'm finding it difficult to match portability (for hiking) with effectiveness (especially for something like a grizzly bear).

Also, any info on gun licensing would be helpful.

It's important to note that I'm not out actively hunting these beautiful beasts, and if I were to encounter one I'd hope to scare it away before actually harming it, but when it comes down to it and no warnings are heeded, it's him or me...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm more concerned about cougars sneaking up on me than a bear. Generally bears will avoid you before you even see them if you're making noise, unless a mother has cubs around. That being said, cougars scare the hell out of me. They stalk you for fun! ****!

A friend of mine has a pistol-grip 12-gauge and we went and shot it in the fall. From about 25 feet I blew a pilsner can off the stick it was jammed onto with buckshot, but it took me 2 or 3 tries. Definitely aim a little lower than you'd think shooting from the hip! One good suggestion I got was carrying a short shotgun (like HMFI's 18.5, or my buddy's 16") and loading a couple rounds of buckshot first, then a few slugs. That way if you have to fire at something, maybe the buckshot makes it think twice (and won't actually kill it) but if it keeps charging, the slugs will pack plenty of punch to bring it down.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked around real quick last night and I think I found the one my buddy had that I shot, Mossberg 500 JIC. Basically built for exactly what I'm asking about. Also appears to be an 18.5".

Lone Ranger - What other forums has this been discussed on? I'd love to read up..

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Matt, you've pretty much reinforced my assumptions about what I was looking for.

Any tips about getting firearms license?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
To the OP, any of the guns people have talked about would be fine. Have both an 870 and a mossberg 500. I like were the safety is on my 500, but we have had WAY less problems with my 870.
Hmm, some more food for thought. Notice the 870 comes in a 10" pistol-grip. That seems much more portable than the 16". Any reason not to go that small?

Thanks for the input! The tire rolling trick is a good idea.

edit: Also, what problems have you had with the 500?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
If anyone is interested, I found the guy who drives around the province and does testing. He's based out of Lillooet but when I called him he was way up in Prince Rupert. He was on his way down to the island so he stopped by my job site in Pemberton and I challenged the test beside his truck right in the driveway of the house we were building. Then half the guys on site realized what was up and all wanted to do it too, so he said he'd be back next week with more tests, hahaha.

Anyway, it's fairly easy, I didn't read any books or anything, just wrote it based on minimal knowledge of firearms and some common sense. It's really just safety-based, 30ish multiple choice questions, 30ish true/false, you have to get 80% to pass, then he runs you through a quick practical test with a riffle, you pay him $150, he gives you some paperwork to fill out and send away, and 6-8 weeks later your license shows up.

I forget his name, but his number is 250 256 9396. He's real nice and explained everything to me really well. I bought a Mossberg 500 yesterday :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I was surprised at how consistent I was with the pistol grip from about 40', I was blowing the crap out of a lot of beer cans. Mind you that was just with shotload, I'm a little scared to shoot a slug.

The main reason I went with the 500 vs a tactical shotgun was price, specifically half of it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.