BC 4x4 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Holy crap.
If you don't like guns, don't enter a thread called "firearms".
Some people like carrying guns, some don't. Nobody asked why your so chicken shit of guns so keep it to your self.
Shoot it, kill it, skin it.
Do I show up at your work and shoot guns off. I have not fear of the gun only the idiot holding it. They are a tool not a toy.
Maybe if you are that affraid to walk in the forest you should stick to the mall.

Land Andy: I do research in ecology/forestry/wildlife.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I wish you did, it's always a good time. I work in the bush too bud.

Like I said, this be a firearms thread, maybe you should start your own "******** that scare me" thread.

·
Registered
945 Posts
So if I start a thread "Dumping stuff in the woods is fun and cool" you cannot disagree since it is a thread about dumping garbage in the bush???

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
So if I start a thread "Dumping stuff in the woods is fun and cool" you cannot disagree since it is a thread about dumping garbage in the bush???
You can start whatever thread you want and I'll decide if I have anything usefull to add to it.

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts

·
4,911 Posts
"Wear it" works too. LR

·
Registered
320 Posts
The skull will not deflect bullets this is a myth.
100% not a myth. Even their hide will stop bullets without enough juice behind them. Happened to friends out hunting last season.

I met a man with half a face because he came across the wrong bear. Convincing enough to keep me trigger happy for life.

To the OP, any of the guns people have talked about would be fine. Have both an 870 and a mossberg 500. I like were the safety is on my 500, but we have had WAY less problems with my 870. But like everyone else said, it doesn't matter what you have if you can't shoot it. Set up a tire to roll down a gravel pit at you while you try shoot it. Very humbling.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
100% not a myth. Even their hide will stop bullets without enough juice behind them. Happened to friends out hunting last season.

I met a man with half a face because he came across the wrong bear. Convincing enough to keep me trigger happy for life.

To the OP, any of the guns people have talked about would be fine. Have both an 870 and a mossberg 500. I like were the safety is on my 500, but we have had WAY less problems with my 870. But like everyone else said, it doesn't matter what you have if you can't shoot it. Set up a tire to roll down a gravel pit at you while you try shoot it. Very humbling.

Tire rolling down a hill in a gravel pit. Very good idea.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
To the OP, any of the guns people have talked about would be fine. Have both an 870 and a mossberg 500. I like were the safety is on my 500, but we have had WAY less problems with my 870.
Hmm, some more food for thought. Notice the 870 comes in a 10" pistol-grip. That seems much more portable than the 16". Any reason not to go that small?

Thanks for the input! The tire rolling trick is a good idea.

edit: Also, what problems have you had with the 500?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hmm, some more food for thought. Notice the 870 comes in a 10" pistol-grip. That seems much more portable than the 16". Any reason not to go that small?

Thanks for the input! The tire rolling trick is a good idea.

edit: Also, what problems have you had with the 500?
That was on the verge of being illegal last I heard. Anyone know any different?

I was going to get one 2 yrs ago but never got around to it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah pretty sure 10" isn't legal.

With the mossberg, my dad's had jamming problems. The gunsmith gave up and had to send it back to the factory for fixing. With mine, I had a part in the action that would pinch the shells as I was cycling. It would end up shaving some plastic off the shells and jamming. Both were new guns, and both are fixed now. That being said I still take it into the bush instead of the 870 because I can get a shot off faster with it. Totally up to you, both are great and proven guns.

Although I'm considering switching to a guide gun. Short little, very large caliber gun. Something else to think about.

·
4,911 Posts
Dlask makes an 8.5" barrel 12 ga, 3 round, with a pistol grip that's unrestricted. Indeed it is pushing the limits of the law, but I assume no one's committed any crimes with it because the RCMP isn't pushing to make them restricted. A buddy has one of those Dominion Arm Grizzly, double 12" barrel pistolgrip shotties that likes eating your eyebrows, its damn cool but a touch impractical except for point plank range. 16" I think would be the best carry option IMO. Learn how to use it properly, the tire rolling down a hill is a good way to train if you can do it safely. There's no such thing as too much training when it comes to emergency situations, anybody can tell you that. The more you know, the safer you generally are and there's a good chance it just might save your (or someone else's) life sometime down the road. LR

·
Registered
661 Posts
What were they shooting it with? Grizzly hides are no different than black bear hides and all the black bears I've shot are pass throughs. People kill them with arrows.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
it sounds to me like someone missed and decided to say that the hide stopped the bullets:lame

·
4,911 Posts
it sounds to me like someone missed and decided to say that the hide stopped the bullets:lame
Proper rifle, proper practice, and proper ammo and you'll easily blow a hole straight through a grizzly skull.. they're not exactly made out of ballistics kevlar or anything. If I were to be shooting Barnes TSX bullets out of my .30-06 I would think twice about where I would put a bullet on a charging grizzly, hell, those things even blast through steel plate. The only reason I use different bullets is purely because I hate cleaning the copper out of the barrel afterwards, and I've had good luck with 150gr ballistic tips. LR

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got the mossburg 500 with pistol grip and yes the safety is in a much better place then the 870 and can be pulled out loaded and fired very quickly, I prefer that over the 870. I don't think you can really go wrong with either one though both are great guns. I was under the impression that 18.5" inch was the smallest you could go to keep it in the unrestricted category, also if you're using it for protection do you need to have the plug in to limit the amount of shells in the gun to 3? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also how do I find out where I can carry it?

41 - 60 of 100 Posts