BC 4x4 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts
Dlask makes a 6.5" 2 or 3 round shotgun now, unrestricted. 12" seems to be about the norm for very short, below that I've found its pretty custom.

Yes, the Mossburg 590s definitely kick ass on the 870s. I don't use my safety at all, don't trust them. I won't hunt with a loaded rifle if I'm with anyone, only chamber a round when I'm stalking or about to take the shot. The only time you need to plug is when hunting water fowl. LR

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Marlin 1895 guide gun calibre'd in 45/70 gov't 300 grain bullets anywhere up past 500 grain bullets

the best option is garret rounds but we can't get them in canada and if anyone can i want some haha

500-GRAIN Hornady Copper-Clad Steel Jacketed Flatnose Solid at 1530-fps
garret 45/70 +P charged exiters have taken elephant, rhino, hippo, and cape buffalo's, 5 round capacity in quick lever action aslong as you dont miss shouldn't have a problem stopping a bear.

·
Registered
473 Posts
.375 H&H. Thats what the guides carry. I've got a marlin "guide gun" in 45/70. It's pussy. Not big enough for large grizzlies IMO. Although they do have a fast action which definatly helps. Big chunk o lead but no speed. Try .458 win mag, that'll work. I think i'm the only person i know that owns one. Even the fellow I bought it from was calling me crazy to want to shoot it. But it's gonna save my a$$ one day. I've got 5 acres on the sunshine coast up by lund, there's bears in my yard every damn time i'm up there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
For those that are interested in getting there firearms liscence I highly recommend Canadian Firearms Academy tel# 604-345-3735. Talk to Tony and tell him Sean sent you. If you actually want to learn something in a very practical way and be a safe proper firearm owner I highly recommend him. He does it as a full time bussiness. Hes located in the strip mall with the Hook and Ladder Pub in Surrey.

http://www.canadianfirearmsacademy.com/

As for predator defence when in the bush being a hunter myself I highly recommend you dont waste ur money on a shotgun. Unless your shooting slugs at close range at a grizzly a shotgun is useless for bear defence and a face full of shot is just going to piss it off even more. If you insist on carrying a firearms for wilderness protection I carry a non-restricted stainless 16" barrelled Rossi Puma 357 magnum lever action. Being a pistol calibre it will hold up to 10 rounds plus one in the chamber. Its quick to reload being a lever after firing a shot and cycling the action is really quick. Its light weight and a very nice gun to carry. Wanstalls in Maple Ridge carries them in stainless and non-stainless. You can also get them in a 44 magnum too. Price is about 500-650$ depending on the model.

Hopefully in the future B.C. goes the same way Ontario and Quebec have gone and allow you to hunt with a pistol as I would carry my Glock 17 9mm in a heart beat full of hollow points for wilderness defense. And lets not forget Bears and Cougars arent the only animal you need to defend yourself. I have seen an adult Bull Moose completely destroy a full size truck before because it was pissed off that it had its personal space invaded. Moose, Deer and Elk can be just as dangerous and lethal when breeding.

As for carrying a firearm in a Provincial Park, it is legal to carry a non-restricted firearm anywhere you want within reason ie. not the fricking mall. You can keep it in your truck anywhere you go as long as it complies with the rules set out by the Canadian Firearms Act for safe transportation and handling.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hopefully in the future B.C. goes the same way Ontario and Quebec have gone and allow you to hunt with a pistol as I would carry my Glock 17 9mm in a heart beat full of hollow points for wilderness defense.
you had better check you sources. the carry of restricted firearms in the woods is illegal. you need to get a wilderness ATT ( need to have a mining, trappers license) through your provincial CFO. Ontario and Quebec especially have some of the most restrictive aux firearms laws in the country.

sorry but i have to call BS.

·
Registered
45 Posts
you had better check you sources. the carry of restricted firearms in the woods is illegal. you need to get a wilderness ATT ( need to have a mining, trappers license) through your provincial CFO. Ontario and Quebec especially have some of the most restrictive aux firearms laws in the country.

sorry but i have to call BS.
The most important part of the smack-down is missing. Canadian Firearms laws are federal. While provincial firearms offices administer them (somewhatish) the law on paper is federal, and sets out what they can and cannot do. It's very specific. G/l getting a wilderness ATT. They are usually very specific as well, such as "trapline only" or "mining site only"....

Maybe this is a troll, as you are advocating trying to drop a bear with a 9mm glock? Not smart, as this would almost certainly require a clip or two for a full grown bear whilst you are shitting your shorts.

I second the BS and add in a horseshit...

·
Registered
187 Posts
this is what i am going to pack when i get my licence!
Marlin 1895 guide gun calibre'd in 45/70 gov't 300 grain bullets anywhere up past 500 grain bullets

the best option is garret rounds but we can't get them in canada and if anyone can i want some haha

500-GRAIN Hornady Copper-Clad Steel Jacketed Flatnose Solid at 1530-fps
garret 45/70 +P charged exiters have taken elephant, rhino, hippo, and cape buffalo's, 5 round capacity in quick lever action aslong as you dont miss shouldn't have a problem stopping a bear.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
If anyone is interested, I found the guy who drives around the province and does testing. He's based out of Lillooet but when I called him he was way up in Prince Rupert. He was on his way down to the island so he stopped by my job site in Pemberton and I challenged the test beside his truck right in the driveway of the house we were building. Then half the guys on site realized what was up and all wanted to do it too, so he said he'd be back next week with more tests, hahaha.

Anyway, it's fairly easy, I didn't read any books or anything, just wrote it based on minimal knowledge of firearms and some common sense. It's really just safety-based, 30ish multiple choice questions, 30ish true/false, you have to get 80% to pass, then he runs you through a quick practical test with a riffle, you pay him $150, he gives you some paperwork to fill out and send away, and 6-8 weeks later your license shows up.

I forget his name, but his number is 250 256 9396. He's real nice and explained everything to me really well. I bought a Mossberg 500 yesterday :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
i usually pick whatever one i feel like taking when im on my way into the woods you wont find me with out a gun behind my seat if im off pavement however. i have a old 12 gadge, a sks, a 308, and three 303's too choose from.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts