BC 4x4 Forums banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
if you going to buy a shotgun for predator defense in the bush i would suggest a tactical shotgun over the straight pistol grip if your looking for something fairly short, plus most tactical stocks are removable so you can rock the pistol grip if ya want. like others have said hip shooting a 12ga is 100% hollywood at least with the stock you have a chance of landing a direct hit.....and the whole few rounds of buckshot followed by slugs theory is likely just gunna leave you in worse shape after ya hip shoot that slug, trust me pistol grip and 3" slug hurt

and like someone else said bear spray if for hippies, if something is making an attempt to eat me i plan on taking its ass down for good not just pissing it off with bear spray.....but thats just me i prefer to be the one doing the eating not the one being eaten

and for those looking at the 45/70 its a nice gun but shooting that beast makes the 3" 12ga slug feel like nothing.....so ya might wanna work your way up to it or at least try one out first

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I was surprised at how consistent I was with the pistol grip from about 40', I was blowing the crap out of a lot of beer cans. Mind you that was just with shotload, I'm a little scared to shoot a slug.

The main reason I went with the 500 vs a tactical shotgun was price, specifically half of it..

·
Registered
685 Posts
yea but a pop can and a pissed off animal are 2 different things and like someone else (i think LR) said he would rather be feeding em slugs, next time your out take some 3" 1 ounce slugs and see how good your aim is.....keep in mind its gunna kick like a bloody mule

BTW at 40' that buckshot is not going to do the same damage to a bear as it will to a pop can

another gun i like is the dominion arms backpacker, its a short double barrel with a full stock

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts
12 ga with 00 buckshot will most likely make anything think twice about chewing on you, unless its possessed with adrenaline and set to kill, then having something that hits harder may be necessary. NEVER give a warning shot unless you know for sure its just bluffing, if its being aggressive at all just drop it - you may not have the chance to get the necessary second or third shot off. If you don't think its going to attack, instead just back away while watching behind you and never take the rifle off the animal until you're clear of the area. For me, warning shots are for when the military is being 'politically correct' - if I think I'm about to become bear shit then I won't think twice about taking the first move and dropping it. LR

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pump shotgun is your best bet in the bush. Easy firearm to manipulate under stress.

You best go out and shoot it a LOT before you want to rely on it to save your life, they kick like a mule and thats coming from a guy who can shoot .30-06 and 7.62x54R all day and bitch that it felt like a .22LR. :)

I've had my Dom Arms 12.5" Grizzly shotgun since 2008, over 10k rounds through it and used 3 times to deal with bears. Bears 0 - Me 3 up.

When in bear country I ALWAYS have my shotgun loaded with either Fusion Sabot slugs or Winchester Platinums in 2 3/4 & 3 inch.

For most shooters, a good recoil pad slipped onto your firearms stock makes these rounds more tamed for unseasoned shooters.

With my 12.5" shotgun I can send 3" slugs into same man sized tree stumps at 200 yards with ghost ring sights. Practise makes perfect.

Factory barrel is holding up pretty well too for a chinese made gun.

·
Registered
685 Posts
ive been wantin one of those dominions for a while but wanstalls keeps given me the same shit to check back in a few months, good to hear that its standin up to abuse as i was a little worried given they are pretty damn cheap

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Grove:

10 thousand rounds? 3 bears?....that's about 3,333 rounds per bear.

Just kidding..... I know, most of those were for practice....Still I gotta admire your dedication..... Winchester Plat-tips and Fusion Sabots cost about 2 bucks each....10 thousand rounds...that's about $20,000 in ammo. You could have bought a new truck.....

But, all that practice is paying off. You can hit a "man sized" stump at 200 yards with just a shot-gun and iron sights. Shucks, I have trouble doing that with my Sihlouette rifle on a bad day.

Of all the ways to get hurt or die in the bush, getting attacked by an animal is pretty much the bottom of my list. And if my truck stops, I'd rather be hiking with a water bottle and emergency rations instead of a suicide vest and sawed-off pumper, and after a hard day or so you'd be glad to trade too.

Sparkle
I have garbage bags FULL of spent shotgun shells in my house. I'll reload every single freakin one of them at one time or another.

As for the suicide vest and pumper, I NEVER carry only one gun. Pumper I'll sling on my back as I cradle my primary in my arms as I explore the great outdoors.

Should see the damage I can do with that rifle WHEN the scope is zero'd in haha.

5 charged magazines, 4 visible + another 300 something rounds on the back pouch on my vest.

It ain't light by any means but I don't notice the weight at all anymore.

Depending what I'm shooting for targets I might wear body armour as well. Ricochets are nasty mother fuckers at times.

Most of the time tho, this is what I pack out with me. Mossber Mav88, Griz 12.5, Winchester 490, Rem 742 & H&R 852.

Anywho enough show and tell from me for now, let some other users post then I'll reply later.

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts
Nice setup for sure!

I usually carry either my pistol grip Maverick 88 or my .45-70 GG, sometimes nothing at all. I have a tac vest as well, but it hasn't seen any use in a few years. I usually carry a Camelback Ranger pack in camo due to the water bladder, and its ability to carry a wider range of gear. It really doesn't matter what you carry, its just important that you know how to use it proficiently. A .22 could easily make an aggressive animal think twice, same as bear bangers if you can actually use them properly. My biggest issue with bangers is if you only anger the animal any more than it already is, you cannot protect yourself with them. However, on the flipside, a .458 win mag could have issues against an old ornery boar if its taken a mean disliking to you. A knife against a bear isn't an acceptable means of protection, except in an extreme situation. 500 lbs of adrenaline-charged claws and teeth isn't fun to take on with a 6" blade.

Just a quick shot of my last deer hunting trip, carry my Rem 700 '06. Minus the camo gear (unless its fairly cold out, since its my heavy winter gear) thats about my usual setup these days. If I'm just out and about I'm usually in jeans and a work jacket instead. In my pack I carry a set of bino's, range finder, SPOT GPS tracker, 2 days worth of food and warm clothes, spare ammo, firestarter, firstaid kit, plus a bunch of the other usual stuff. It sits behind the drivers seat in my pickup at all times, ready to rock at a moments notice. Its a little heavy by most people's standards, but I have a large enough frame to handle it pretty easily. LR

·
Registered
208 Posts
+1 on the dominion arms grizz. i have the mag fed, with a 12.5" barrel in the mail and knoxx spec ops stock, small backpacker special. Remington 870 clone if im not mistaken(excepet for the magwell) as long as the overall length is over 26" its non restricted. Also did i mention because its pump action, the magazine capacity is unlimited, plans for a 20 round drum magazine are supposedly in the works.
Dont wait for wanstalls to have it in stock, go to distributor directly canadaammo.com they are located in n van, but dont have a physical showroom, all online, they just got a shipment in a month ago, most have been sold through pre orders, i urge you to check it out sooner than later or your only possibility of picking one up will be used through gun stores or canadiangunnutz.com or wait another year for their next shipment.
i always pack heat when im in the bush, usually cuz im there to do some shooting though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
even with alot of practice, how good do you think your aim will be under pressure with a bear coming at you? are you going to hike around with the safety off? don't be one of those guys that ends up on the news after shooting yourself while in the middle of no where.

bear spray is the way to go. it will scare any animal away, even snakes if you happen to find yourself surrounded by rattlers. it's even good to use on ashole humans without getting you in jail.
I agree.

·
Registered
201 Posts
http://www.canadaammo.com/product.php?productid=282&cat=0&page=1

i had a dom grizzly and loved it! (sold due to financial woes) id also reccomend a semi auto, faster fire rate and less recoil. grizzly arms has a nice one in the link above.

marlin 45/70 is also a great choice. its my primary hunting rifle and its got big bad bullets with a fast flying lever action i can get 5 rounds in about 7 seconds. each one is 400 grains of lead made for buffalo origanaly in 1885 ... still works 115 years later, doing somthing right.

oh! and dont do the pistol grip, its for shits and giggles or guys who want to look "gangsta". pistol grip stocks and foregrips are great liks the ones on the grizzly.

i remember we were hunting and i had the grizzly set up with the pistol grip on rear, i let another guy we met on trail try it. i stuck a 3 inch slug in there and let him have a go and the when he fired it it the front slipped out of his front hand and it flew up and smacked him a good one in the face!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the Mossberg 500 JIC. I have a recoil pistol grip, makes a big difference, and the case will float with no water getting into it which is handy when I take it kayaking for overnighters.

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
386 Posts
Heres a few of the crowd pleaser's from my collection.

-M305 7.62x51mm NATO
-CZH2003 7.62x39mm, Eotech holograph, muzzle break, detach-bipod
-CZ858 7.62x39mm , multi rail fore grip, muzzle break, side mounted night vision.
-Valtro pm5, ghost rings, 14.5 inch ported, 8 rd cap.

I like to shoot, I also own verious pistols.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys. just throwing my 2 cents in. I've worked in seriously remote areas doing fisheries work in B.C., the Yukon and Alaska, for over 30 years and survived. as well, I've been a dangerous wildlife monitor on a number of pipeline projects if you are looking for something to protect yourself while out there, I suggest a shotgun with slugs. I've seen guys working creeks pepper spray themselves because they panicked and didn't check wind direction and bear position?? I've had to put down 2 bears in my 30+ years. one of the bears was stalking a crew member. the best advice I can give is when you're out there, be very alert and keep your eyes open for sign and don't camp around attractants (fish spawning areas, etc). the other thing to remember is the legal ramifications of killing wildlife. wildlife enforcement can be quite sticky about this and it can be very expensive. make sure you have a valid PAL and a current hunting license never hurts. hopefully this helps out. get out there and enjoy but be safe.

·
Administrator
2007 Nissan Frontier LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
10 Posts
Bringing this one back, because I often use my truck to get me out to the hunting grounds. Even when just exploring, I often have a shotgun of some sort with me while in the back country; I have the tools, so I prefer to be prepared than surprised.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it's worth, I've worked alone in bear country (BC and YT) since the mid 80s and I currently work part time at a fish hatchery which has spawning kokanee. Grizzlies are a regular occurrence but are seasonal visitors at this particular site. As a hunter and a biologist, I would rely more on having pepper spray besides making noise and being acutely aware of my surroundings such as sounds and signs of animal activity. Being near noisy rivers is always a place of concern and dealing with habituated bears is the next worrisome feature of bears. I've only seen one cougar and have never had anything untoward from any bear or cougar to date but maybe it has to be put down to luck? Moose are what I'm concerned about especially during the rut. Also if you take down a calf and the mother's in the vicinity, watch out. That's what I've had to deal with a couple of times and I doubt pepper spray would work on a mad moose.
Nothing else has ever stuck around long enough for me to have to blast it with either my rifle or pepper spray but pepper spray is much easier, quicker and safer for me but in the end, it's your call. I've not tried it on moose and quite frankly, I'm more afraid of the CO than the animal, which is why most hunters won't report an incident. I've known guys who've lost their licence etc. when they reported cases of actual events of being threatened and protecting themselves by having to kill the animal.

·
Administrator
2007 Nissan Frontier LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
10 Posts
^ I have heard similar stories of the COs being extremely heavy handed as well, which unfortunately leads to people not wishing to report events that could be a quick fix, so to speak. Pepper spray vs firearm is always debated. I carry both on me in the wilderness.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts