BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First Cherokee, first set of questions. :)

Hi all,

In my first foray into the world of 4x4ing, I have come up with some questions that I'm hoping some seasoned vets can help with. The overwhelming concensus I seem to get here is, ask first to prevent having to buy 3 different types of tires, 2 different lifts. So, wanting to do this right the first time, any advice is greatly appreciated!! Here goes;

So first, the vehicle:

1988 Jeep Cherokee XJ (standard edition)
2.5 litre / 4 cyl / 5 speed 4x4
Stock everything at this point!

I'm hoping to get some advice on the best route to take for making this a machine I can take out on our property in the interior. There won't be any rock-crawling, but want a lift as it's a bit rough in the area (thinking a 4.5" lift?) with logging/forestry roads and some basic climbs.

I have seen a few people mention they picked up some "cheap" mudders/tires; Is there a good place to find decent used tires? and maybe wheels? Is this even a worthwhile endeavour, or should I go new (this would be the option if money was growing on trees:))

Any thought's on the most cost effective (but still done right, kids will be in the truck!) way to go about a lift? Through a shop, or maybe a side job type thing for someone on here?

Is there alot of added expenses that come from just wanting a straight-forward lift with tires? By that I mean neccessary, not just because I want it to look good! Steering adders, spacers,brake line adjustments etc...?

I think I'll start with that, and hopefully someone that has been through this won't mind offering some advice. Sorry if there's any "stupid" questions in there. I'm just looking to go the route of doing this in a way that makes sense to a wheeler, not just a guy in a store that tells you what you "need".

Thanks for taking the time to read this all, and happy wheelin'!!

D.

:help:

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Re: First Cherokee, first set of questions. :)

Tons of tire choices and lift kits but it all depends on your budget.
Rough Country is about $1200 BDS maybe $1800 (there are cheaper)for 4.5" lifts, that'll get ya 32" tires, if you know how to install the lift great if not, get a shop to do it. The better kits will probably have new brake lines, control arms, track bar and maybe the SYE too. There are cheap ways and expensive ways to lift your heep so better check your bank account, welcome to the world of Jeep.
If it's going to be your dd then invest in some decent tires, maybe even some AT's some of them are pretty good cross overs from muds. General, Falken, Mickey Thompson and Goodyear make some great AT's and that's all ya really need for FSR's.
Also lets not forget all your new recovery gear, straps, shovel, jack, good tow points on your heep etc,$$, etc.
Do some research on tires and lift then figure on how important your kids are to you and I think you'll come to a quick decision, safety is our friend. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you!

Great starting off info. That's going to help me head in the right direction, much appreciated.
Any recommendations for shops to do the lift? I have been looking at everything from having Gemini do it, to 360 Fabrication. I love doing modifications, and have been trying to do them myself for years, just don't know if I'm set up, tool-wise, for a lift. Is there anything special needed for doing a lift? Other than mechanical knowledge and muscle?

Thanks Swivel Head, I appreciate you taking the time.

D.

·
Registered
650 Posts

I'm very partial to North Shore Off Road, ask for Yasu and tell him Robin told ya to call, but there's Big Country Customs, Jeep Thrills(they tend to be a bit slow). NSOR are a BDS dealer but they also carry other brands like Rubicon Express, www.nsor.com.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts

If your just taking it to your property and keeping it there as a rip around vehicle, I'd just cut the fenders out and add bigger tires. This keeps all the steering and drive line angles stock and less likely to cost you lots of money. Maybe some 2" coil spacers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'm very partial to North Shore Off Road, ask for Yasu and tell him Robin told ya to call, but there's Big Country Customs, Jeep Thrills(they tend to be a bit slow). NSOR are a BDS dealer but they also carry other brands like Rubicon Express, www.nsor.com.
Perfect, thank you. I will most likely go NSOR because they are near my work. I will let them know who sent me. Thanks!!

·
Registered
138 Posts

When I had my 92 Cherokee with the 4.0L I had a 4.5" lift with new rear leaf packs, coils, trac bar, pitman arm, lower control arms, tcase drop and whatever else.

I trimmed the fenders and ran 33" Km2's on it.
Wouldn't have changed a thing other then a gear swap!

Save yourself the headache... Sell the Jeep and buy a bicycle... ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Maybe some 2" coil spacers.
Would those be ok to install if I was going to put in a bigger lift at some point down the road? Compatibility issues?

This will be a dd as well as a bit of an off-road toy.

Thanks for the tip :beer

·
Registered
945 Posts

Nice Jeep, I would sell it and get one with the 4.0 HO///

Once you lift and put tires on it you are going to be asking how to get power from the 2.5L and the real answer is you cannot really....so sell it now and start with the 4.0HO. Fuel mileage is around the same. I have had 4 jeeps with the 2.5 including a fresh rebuild and never made enough power for the hills in BC.

·
Registered
805 Posts
id look into a set of treadwright tires. they are in the states but a fraction of the cost of a new set of tires even with shipping and duty factored into the price. im sure someone will chime in as too why these tires suck but ive read nothing but good reviews. id stay away from 360 fab if i were you. ive seen a couple of their jobs and they look like a load of poop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
id look into a set of treadwright tires.
I'm a bit on the fence about something like that. On one hand they seem to come with fairly positive reviews. On the other hand, there's always gonna be something in my head telling me there's a better chance of something going wrong with that tire than a brand new one. It's tempting though.

I saw this tire on an xj today, and it looked sweet. The tread looks like it could rip pretty good.
http://www.maxxis.com/AutomobileLight-Truck/Light-Truck-SUV/MT-754-Buckshot-Mudder.aspx

Cheers for the suggestion, I might just make a trip to the states anyways.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
i wouldn't even start modifying a 2.5 cherokee. it's going to a gutless money pit.

stock tire size on a 4runner or tacoma is already 32" fyi

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone, I think I have a pretty good idea of the route to go to get started. Be safe all and have fun out there!

D.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sell it now and put the time into the 4.0 same mileage and lots of power. Please read this warning! You can sell it find a 4.0HO for the same $$ then put the time into the 4.0...

PLEASE GET A 4.0 HO

Cherokee as fine trucks just the 2.5L is too small works to hard and uses more gas then the 4.0 which is a great motor

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sell it now and put the time into the 4.0 same mileage and lots of power. Please read this warning! You can sell it find a 4.0HO for the same $$ then put the time into the 4.0...

PLEASE GET A 4.0 HO

Cherokee as fine trucks just the 2.5L is too small works to hard and uses more gas then the 4.0 which is a great motor
I am currently looking into it. The cherokee I have was actually a 4.0 at one point but was converted to a 2.5, soit has all the connections in there.

I'm trying to figure out if an engine swap would be a good option down the road as I do want the option of building up if I want too. Selling would be easier, and I have it out there to see if there's any takers before I consider an engine swap. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the concern though :) :beer

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I am currently looking into it. The cherokee I have was actually a 4.0 at one point but was converted to a 2.5, soit has all the connections in there.
really? someone put effort into something like that? the 4.0 motor mounts have probably been cut out so you'll have to weld mounts back into it where they used to be.... this spells disaster.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree, from what I can tell and see under the hood it was quite the undertaking. I know I don't have that kind of time on my hands, but we'll see what happens in the near future here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts