BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have scrapped some money together to start looking for a truck. It's only $1500, but that's a lot to a 17 year old! I'm mainly looking for a nice little truck like a Samurai, Toyota (Pick-up or 4Runner), or something.

My two problems come when I need it to be a daily driver and I have little mechanical knowledge. Any suggestions on what I need to look for, and where to look?

It look me about 2 years to get this much money, so saving more money isn't a very good option

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I say get an old toy or a cj jeep. They both handle well offroad and will make a good project

------------------
92 Jeep YJ with 1 inch shackle lift and a 2 inch body lift running 31's

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
With $1500 and not much extra in the foreseeable future, I think your absolute, major concern must be with reliability. Old Toyotas and Jeeps are great BUT good luck trying to find one without frame rust. A Suzuki is probably going to be your best bet if you can find one for that cheap. If you do, it will probably have body rust around the rear fenders which is extremely difficult to fix well...but you can patch it up with fiberglass if you're not too concerned about the looks.

Once you get a vehicle, you'll have to budget money for tools and emergency supplies.

And then you'll have to avoid beating on it at Stave Lake (mud and peer pressure [and drunks] is a great way to destroy your vehicle). If you drive it responsibly and take the time to learn and practice automobile maintenance, it should last you a good long time and be a great first vehicle.

Remember, get a RELIABLE vehicle. Looks is secondary. I know it's difficult as a 17-year old to absorb that but please try. ;-)

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lars, im 17, and My CJ may not be a shiny honda civic or miada or what ever crap impresses people in highschool now, but when I drive into the Enver Creek parking lot, I get a lot of heads turning.

Also I just started at that school, so no one really knows me but i hear a lot of people asking "Whos that guy with the sweet jeep"

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires 1" body lift
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Jeepasaurus:
Also I just started at that school, so no one really knows me but i hear a lot of people asking "Whos that guy with the sweet jeep"
I'm guessing it's worth more than $1500 though. <g>

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately for goof, it was $3500. But if you were to go in the buy and sell, and look at an old jeep with a solid frame, but a lot of body rust, you could get a good deal and then put that stainless steel plating over it.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires 1" body lift
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I'm 17 and was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I ended up buying a 1980 Scout. It's a really good truck (although I'm having a little trouble with the ignition right now) but as people have said, if you dont have much mechanical knowledge it can be a hassle. I would say for the price range your looking at you would probably do better finding a full size truck as they seem to go for less. I would also suggest to be careful about what you spend, because unless your parents are helping you later, you will have to budget money for insurance, gas, etc, etc. And BTW, people can say what they want about scouts, but with the top off and the sound up, it is a chick magnet!
Good luck finding a good truck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would not recommend full size. Gas is high and for that price you are only asking for problems for a 4x4. I would take my money grab a friend or 2-3-4 and head down to the auto auction in Surrey. I new a girl who use to work there. She told me that some of the trucks going out of there were cheap she saw a 91 yj go for 2500. This was in 97 it was a bank repo. That is cheap, but just look over all the vehicles before you bid..

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
revolver shackles coming
with motor swap..

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would recomend a fullsize Chev if you are looking for reliability and ease of maintenance. Take your time hunting and find one with a battered body, manual tranny, a 350, and get a 3/4ton if you can. Parts are super cheap, easy to find, and interchangable between many years and models.

Sure the gas cost is high, but when you think that nothing on the truck is going to cost you more than 200 bucks to fix (old 350, old tranny, old transfer case, 14 bolt rear end, body panels, brakes, etc) the money you'll save in parts and maintenance will make up for the extra gas cash.

The technology on these things is from the 50's or 60's, and are great trucks to learn the basics of automechanics on. I found mine for 1000 bucks, and have beat the crap out of it many times, and it keeps on going.

------------------
1978 GMC 3/4T 350/465/205 dents scratches some mods and 265/75/16 BFG M/T

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Full size isn't really an option. It's gonna be a daily driver so gas will kill me. Insurance isn't a problem, parents are covering that

I totally know what you mean Lars...I'm not looking for a shiny truck. I'd rather have an ugly ass truck than a parking lot princess.

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by Goof:
Full size isn't really an option. It's gonna be a daily driver so gas will kill me. Insurance isn't a problem, parents are covering that

Having a full size doesn't necessarily mean horrid gas costs. My truck has a 360 ci V8 and a Holly 2bbl carb. It's isn't the most powerful engine, but it has plenty for any off-roading I have done. I spent $25.00 driving from North Vancouver to Stave, wheeling all day at stave and then back to North Vancouver. If you ask me, that was not much gas.

Just my 0.02

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jarett...

Any ideas what your mpg is on-road?

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by Goof:
Thanks Jarett...

Any ideas what your mpg is on-road?

My truck is not a daily driver, but last time I checked it was about 15 mpg It's definately not Toy mpg, but It's not as bad as I thought it would be. My car is a 1998 Ford ZX2 2.0L 4-cylender and gets 20 mpg(just to compare). I find that if I am super lead footed I can hear the gas get sucked from the tank, but If I drive normaly it is quite good. Check around though, because most full sizes suck a lot more gas. I think the difference for me is the small carb.

If mpg is a big factor in your choice of truck and you really want a full size, you should find one with a inline 6 cylender. My friend has a 83ish F-150 with the inline 6 and it has tonnes of power and excellent gas milage.

Don't let all us guys with full sized trucks make it look like they are better offroad that the little trucks though. Sammis, toys..etc are very capable rigs. In my experience in owning toyota cars in the past is that they are incredibly reliable, but result in having a higher price tag. If I were buying a truck right now I would probably go for a jeep. They are awesome stock.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited October 10, 2001).]

·
Banned
23 Posts
ther's a truck for sale, a yota under the for sale section, and i know where to get a lift from cheap.

------------------
88 yota, couple solid parts on frame, is the box supposed to be in 2 pieces? tires... i think so. Lift? i don't even have springs.
"Is that a bad thing that my brake pedal is touching the floor"... we'll see when we hit that tree!

·
Registered
453 Posts
definatley get an old import truck, as long as it runs and the frames good, the body will always be rusty or beginning to rust, so after you get you $1500 truck, just go to the local store that sell BONDO (Import Truck Owners Best Friend) and an army surplus store, and after you use your first gallon of bonda just cover up the bad sanding, and spots you'll forget to sand with a good old camo paint job, and then you'll have a kick ass truck with no rust and a sweet paint job for about $1545, that's what I did with my first Toyota, and I had alot more fun with it than my current 81 because hitting trees, and smacking up fenders with camo paint instead of metallic, is just like giving you a chance to do some more cheap mods to your truck.
P.S. I only paid $1000 for my first Toy, and I've ran into the guy, and it's still running around town, strong as ever, only it's been lifted like 7in, and has 35's on it??? I had a real hard time finding a truck for $1000 , but it was real fun once I did
Good Luck

------------------
1981 Short Box Toyota, 3in trailmaster body lift, brand new ES3000's and a single ES2000, marshal 33's, hooker header, K&N filter and a good old cb radio. Working on swapping for a Cherokee, it's time for a change in pace

·
Registered
261 Posts
Go for a samurai , trust me they are sweet. save your money and keep lookin for the best deal.When i bought my samurai 4 years ago i paid $1100 for it and it was mint. There is always a good deal to be had , it just takes a little lookin around to find the best one.
Yota's are cool and CJ5's are cool but My personal opinnion is that samurais take the cake.

------------------
4ByHigh

·
Registered
412 Posts
For that kinda money, go with Kev's advice and get a Sammy, or buy a Toy with rotten frame and have it welded. I was told $600 for a full job from a welding shop. Should have bought the 84 I told you about for $500

Mike.

------------------
85 LWB Flatdeck, No spin/True trac, 33's, 5.29's, chevys, transfercase E brake, bushwacker cut outs, boxliner paint job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Buy old, I learned sooooo much about mechanics from my first truck, a datsun p/u and it got me started on a great love and respect for vehicles. Full size or small size it all evens out. For my personal experiance: Nothing sounded sweeter than hearing my lil' shevy pick up start up for the first time after i rebuilt it and added bout 150 HP. OH BABY!

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
ive got a friend w/ an 87 f1504x4
propane(really good on gas) 60k on a BRAND NEW FROM FORD factory engine.
300cid inline 6
4spd w/ granny low (in 4low/1st you can get out take a nice long piss, take a step or two and get right back in)
30' uniroyal muds (80% tred)

give him a call
his # is 6047850854 cell, his name is Shane

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability
he's asking 2500, but im sure you could jew him down some

[This message has been edited by gumbom (edited October 16, 2001).]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts