BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is possible, but what would be the best lift to install??? For a 95-98 jeep.

Thanx

------------------
'88 xj, on 33's fun in the mud.

·
Registered
50 Posts
to fit 35's on an xj i would say 6-7-8of lift plus some major fender trimming. how much lift do you have on your xj to fit 33's? you should be able to gage from there how much more to get 35's. it's really tight on mine w/5" lift and 2" chopped of the fenders for 33's. not to mention that the drive train would be really ify with 35's
go to www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/jeepcher.htm then go to featured rigs,click on june 2000- he has 35's and 8.5-9"lift
------------------
when in doubt, hammer the gas

81 toy 4.5-5"lift, rebuilt 22r, homebuilt bumpers, 33 mud kings JDgreen, 4.37's*for sale*

now have_87xj w/5' lift, snorkel, roof rack, 8000 warn, 33" mud kings and rust

[This message has been edited by braer (edited January 17, 2002).]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep, all depends how much you want to trim. Theres a guy on JU that has 33's with 3" of lift, and check out www.jeepnorthwest.com and see their XJ section i think theres one guy with 35's and like 5" of lift. I'd say if your willing to trim those fenders, you should be good with 6.5"-7" of lift and TJ flares. But don't forget all the other mods your going to have to do too.
Jordan

------------------
"first you learn to crawl, then walk, then drive, then crawl again."

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Theres room if you hack your fenders flush with the inner fender.
33's fit fine on mine but to go 35's I do believe I'd have to go with a slightly longer control arm to get the tires away from the rear of the fender/firewall.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
#1 best way to do it (IMHO)
Rock ready 8" lift system

plus bushwacker flares:

But can your back axle take the strain?

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

[This message has been edited by Chris S (edited January 17, 2002).]

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Yeah forgot about that. The skyjacker kits the best way, cause it comes with a front axle truss of sorts to raise the control arm mounts and as a side effect it kinda helps to keep the axle from snapping under the weight of the 35's.

Plus it fixes the control arm angles.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The skyjacker kit has some issues in terms of poor engineering. The 8" will definatly NOT fit 35's if we are talking swampers. I built an xj with the rock ready 6" modified it to about 10" and still had to trim the fenders to run 33x12.50r15 TSL. The kit works well once you modify it and work out the bugs and at about 1500km some of the rod ends in the contol arms were worn out, but it rides and flexes very well.

------------------
90 Sub,496BBC,d60,14b,detroits f+r, 44 boggers,th400,np205,insane ,warn15000,balls of steel

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well thanx for all the tips, and those pics of the jeeps look just awesome, but i think for the money purpose, i'd rather lift up a tj. and more easily put 35's on that. with my 33's right now, i bought it with the lift, and all the writing has cum off, but i'm oretty sure it's a 6". when we put new ta's on it, we had too slightly trim the fenders. i also think a Dodge ram would be nice to lift up. but thats also $$$$$ so well se what happens... thanx agian tho guys.

------------------
'88 xj, on 33's fun in the mud.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by mud hound:
... but i think for the money purpose, i'd rather lift up a tj and more easily put 35's on that. ...
That was my conclusion a couple years back as well, although it was 33s I was after not 35s. When I looked at the cost and work involved on an XJ in doing enough lift for 33s, gearing, SYE, installing a custom roll cage, and reinforcing the uni-frame I found I would be ahead of the game to just trade my XJ for a TJ.

------------------
Chris S.
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

[This message has been edited by Chris S (edited January 20, 2002).]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Chris, How about 33's on the KJ? Now there would be an interesting project!

Camoburban, is that the XJ that sits in front of Illusions?

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah it's the camo one that is always parked out front.

------------------
90 Sub,496BBC,d60,14b,detroits f+r, 44 boggers,th400,np205,insane ,warn15000,balls of steel

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by DaveW:
Chris, How about 33's on the KJ?
Not going to happen any time soon. There are some 3" lifts for the KJ in the works, but none on the market yet. With the 3" lift a 32x10.5" (equivilent from metric) will be the max tire size, but even that will require hammering the inner fender pinch-weld flat.

The only possible exception is a guy who is trimming his fender sheet metal on his 2002 Liberty.

That's one guy who understands the Jeep Thing

------------------
Chris S.
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

[This message has been edited by Chris S (edited January 21, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Chris S (edited January 21, 2002).]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Camoburban, you go to the Ozone club at all? If you do, and its a Camo painted XJ, i was checkin it out one night after, i was hammered, and everyone i was with was makin fun of me, thats a sweet jeep man. I guess my pals just don't understand the "Jeep Thing"
Jordan

·
Registered
102 Posts
The only possible exception is a guy who is trimming his fender sheet metal on his 2002 Liberty.
That's one guy who understands the Jeep Thing
I have to disagree...if he understood the "Jeep Thing" he wouldn't have a Liberty.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

[This message has been edited by nikon_jeeper (edited January 21, 2002).]

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Phil I'm gonna go buy a Liberty just to tick you off :p

Its all about cutting fenders and modifying firewalls to fit anything bigger than a 33 on an XJ.

Thats my plan

------------------
Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts