BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began removing my carpet last night, and realized my box is beginning to rust, so how should i go about fixing this?? Is it easy or should i have someone professionally do it?? After the floors are patched i'm going to use box liner on the inside, any brands easy to do yourself at home, at a reasonable cost??

------------------
1985 K5 Blazer Fully Stock even gay 235r15 tires. On the way 4in susp 3in body 35's extensive engine build up and new camo paint

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by Mudhucker:
I began removing my carpet last night, and realized my box is beginning to rust, so how should i go about fixing this?? Is it easy or should i have someone professionally do it?? After the floors are patched i'm going to use box liner on the inside, any brands easy to do yourself at home, at a reasonable cost??
Is the rust right through or just surface?Rhino-guard is the best way to go.They have
a aerosol can you can use at home now.I have a special tip for my paintgun to spray it out of the can.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hi there, i have a 79 k5, I bought it with the floor patched with metal.I also took my carpet out,I just used bondo on any little holes that were left and then sprayed rubberized rockerguard on the floor.It stinks for a while but the floor is waterproof,and at 6 bucks a can its cheap!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet mine is getting pretty bad, but i'm sure it'll be easier than i thought

thanks guys

------------------
1985 K5 Blazer Fully Stock even gay 235r15 tires. On the way 4in susp 3in body 35's extensive engine build up and new camo paint

·
Registered
79 Posts
sweet mine is getting pretty bad, but i'm sure it'll be easier than i thought

thanks guys

Do not underestimate how much rust you really have or how difficult and time consuming it will be to fix it properly. The only way to fix it is to cut out the bad and weld in some new sheet metal. Any solution using bondo, duct tape and undercoat will only make things worse later.

Take a few minutes and remove the side panels behind the doors. The lower seat belt mounting point is in that area. Most K5's are very weak in this area and quite a few have nothing left but carpet holding the seat belt mount in place.

Check the rearmost part of the floor where the tailgate bolts up. The floor at the the very back is also very prone to rust and often the entire tail pan needs to be replaced. Carpet is the enemy...it just holds the moisture against the floor and hides the rust.

Rene

------------------
God hates a coward!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, looks like i'll be buying some sheet metal. Gotta fix it right the first time

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts