BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i put my lift shackles in i have noticed that my springs are bascily flat. Now i am wanting to be add a leafs in but would there be a point to that?? or will it make my springs sag more?

oh yeah... i was gonna put those mini add a leafs in not a full leafs

------------------
92 Jeep YJ with 1 inch shackle lift and a 2 inch body lift running 31's

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are you saying you're back to your stock height with the shackles?
I'm gonna take a guess here that the longer shackles cause the pivot on your springs to be further out since the shackles reaches further out now. That puts the weight on the spring further out than before, and the spring flattens out. The YJ springs generally don't have much arch to them anyways though. My springs are perfectly flat now.
I find it hard to believe that it would negate the amount of lift back to your stock height though. My springs were already flat when I got my schackle lift.
The add a leafs will curve your springs back up a bit, it most defenetly will not make them sag more. There won't be any harm in putting in the add-a-leafs in my opinion.

·
Registered
102 Posts
They were always flat you just didn't notice it before.
don't do short aal's
they will harshen up the ride a lot!

if you have a bit of money to burn maybe even consider taking the jeep to a spring shop and have them rearch the packs while adding a full length aal.
could net 3" of lift
spring shops always seem to give a little more than needed...
ask for 2"
you'll be happy

flat springs are okay though
they are very flexy.

good luck

RJ

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

[This message has been edited by RYJAY (edited October 24, 2001).]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, add a leafs do stiff the ride up, but he's already got 2 short add a leafs. You COULD try getting full length a-a-l on one end if it's not too expensive. I dunno what kind of aal options springs shops have or what they charge for them, but it's something to look into.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a lift form the shackles maybe a 1 inch or so.

My springs were not as flat b-4 i put in on the lift shackles. But if u guys think its alright then i am gonna go aheaed and try the add a leafs. But i think i might call a few spring shops first.

ill keep u guys posted

thanks

------------------
92 Jeep YJ with 1 inch shackle lift and a 2 inch body lift running 31's

·
Registered
9 Posts
Add a leafs will give you more lift, harsher ride, less flex, and will sag down after a year. If i were you i'd stay away from them. I've been in that postion before on my old YJ and i learn't the hard way. Do it the right way first even if you gotta get new (lift) springs. It may cost you more now but be well worth it in the end.

------------------
www.s4wda.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree, add a leafs are a waste of money and so is re-arching, buy a lift kit if you want street 4x4 or springover if you want to wheel. but don't waste your money on aal's or a re-arch

·
Registered
102 Posts
AAL's and rearching is not a waste of money.
they do sag over time but my 2" AAL'd packs flex just as much as the soft stock packs.

They are inexpensive and a good place to start for a new jeeper.

That said...
I'm currently looking for replacement 2.5"-4" lift packs.

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your replacing them, you wasted the money, just like the cash you laid out on those front shackles. Give it time and keep those pictures for a few years down the road when the what was I thinking is more noticeable

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't mean to say AAL's are a long term lift by any means.
liek i said they are a good staring point.

besides...in the future i plan on SOAing it with the stcok packs and the AAL's to combat axle wrap and sagginess.

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Registered
149 Posts
If your replacing them, you wasted the money, just like the cash you laid out on those front shackles
Hey! Longer shackles are not a waste of money. They went really well with my SOA and help my springs be all they can be

So by the time your springs start to sag, you might be ready to reuse them for that SOA you know you're gonna do eventaully

[This message has been edited by Greg W (edited October 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
102 Posts
I totally agree
upgrading shackles to a bit longer than stock totally helps to improve flex and strength
(.5" prolly be ideal)

on a cj it may be a different story though cuz of the weaker mounts

Bottom line - flat springs don't matter.
do an AAL if you want cheap lift and have considered all the drawbacks
(I've actually had a guy with 2.5" lift springs comment on how smooth my ride is)

RJ

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.