BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any good websites or other sources of information on the ford (i.h.) 6.9 litre diesel engines? My girlfriend's needs some maintenance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey there djeeper, not to much maintenance to do on those motors. Ive got a 7.3 and all there is to do really is change the fuel filterm airfilter, oilfilter and oil. If its running really bad and smokin lots it could be the fuel filter about $28 for one. If that doesnt work then it could be the injectors and pump. Ive never changed my injectors or pump but i had valley injection do it and it cost me about $1400, on my old motor. I was told that the tolerances on the pump are very critical and if not a qualified mechanic dont attempt to do it yourself. I dont know how true it that is. The other thing to definately do is put the antifreeze additive in your rad. Its a must, cause those motors are well known for cavity errosion. What happens is the motor vibrates so much that it causes tiny bubbles in the antifreeze and when they leave the side of the block they take tiny pieces of the block with them. Over a period of time it will eventually eat a hole in the cylinder. Then you start it one day and theres white smoke comin out your exhaust. NOT GOOD, i put a new motor in mine (complete drop in, including oil cooler and injectors and pump except for alternater and a few sensors) not cheap $8000 and change. Hope this gives you a little bit of info.

------------------
You either MAKE it or BRAKE it!!!! 38" SWAMPERS & 7" of lift Yahoo

[This message has been edited by ONE BIG FORD (edited March 06, 2001).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the 6.9L and the 7.3L service manual rite here. What do you need to know. If you want Its a chilton & Hayes the should be pretty easy to find out where they sell and you should be able to find it. if not I might be able to send you the pages u need. But have to find out how to work the scanner.. Doh.......

------------------
BREAK 2 BRONCOS AND CALL ME IN THE SUMMER

[This message has been edited by BRONCO BUSTER (edited March 06, 2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help folks. I'm going to check the fuel filters and the injectors. I also am also going to get the chilton manual for this engine. I'll post again if I don't get anywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts