BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
When we swapped an 8.8 under my brother's XJ, we cut the shock brackets off the D35 and welded them onto the 8.8. But making new brackets is quite easy, too. We went that route when I helped a friend put an 8.8 under his YJ. For the parking brake cable, we cut the barrel ends off the cables and looped the cable back onto itself and secured it with a thimble and cable clamp. Basically, we made small looks in the cable and them looped them around the 8.8's parking brake levers.

The write-up for the XJ swap is here: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2003/xj88/

BTW, you'll probably also need to cut/bent/flare some brake line to match your YJ's setup. It's pretty easy to do, but plan on practicing making flares (double flares) on some of the brake line, first.

And if you pull off the 8.8's calipers, make sure you put them back on the right way. When we did the YJ swap, we spent all night trying to bleed them calipers before realizing that they were on the wrong sides and that the bleeders were in the wrong position. Duh.

...lars

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
When we swapped an 8.8 under my brother's XJ, we cut the shock brackets off the D35 and welded them onto the 8.8. But making new brackets is quite easy, too. We went that route when I helped a friend put an 8.8 under his YJ. For the parking brake cable, we cut the barrel ends off the cables and looped the cable back onto itself and secured it with a thimble and cable clamp. Basically, we made small looks in the cable and them looped them around the 8.8's parking brake levers.

The write-up for the XJ swap is here: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2003/xj88/

BTW, you'll probably also need to cut/bent/flare some brake line to match your YJ's setup. It's pretty easy to do, but plan on practicing making flares (double flares) on some of the brake line, first.

And if you pull off the 8.8's calipers, make sure you put them back on the right way. When we did the YJ swap, we spent all night trying to bleed them calipers before realizing that they were on the wrong sides and that the bleeders were in the wrong position. Duh.

...lars
Hey Lars

Did you need to change the master cylinder on the YJ? I've got a '90 YJ and have wondered about the brake issue.

Thanks Arron

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh ya for the e-brake I did what Lars did intially, but then I switched to ZJ cables. Looking back I think I would of modified the e-brake lever to attach to the cable using the drum brake lever like this:

For the rear brake lines I used the existing frame to axle hose and junction block that we're on the Jeep, then used a right side Explorer hose on both left and right side calipers, all connected via hard lines ofcourse.

Here's my write-up:
http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100

I hope that makes sense, cuz my thoughts arn't typing too well at the moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.