BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much should I be looking to pay for a Ford 8.8? (For back of YJ) Does anyone know what years they were on the Explorers?

(I'm posting this under FORD too in case those guys know)

If anyone's done a d35->F8.8 swap, I'd like your email addys.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I believe you want to look for a 95 and up explorer 8.8, those ones have disc brakes, which is a major bonus. I can't remember right now, but I think they come with 3.55 and 4.10's, that's just a shot in the dark though.

It's a nice easy bolt up for YJ's, same bolt pattern, same or similar width, pretty darn strong. I think the good ones can still be had for under 5 or 6 hundred. Ask around and good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Joe's right about the year.
I got my drum 8.8 for $300 at the bone yard. This guy wanted $600 for a newer one with disks. After I tallied up the total bill with new brakes, seals, u-bolts, etc. it was about $700, but if you are going to have to pay somebody to do it, the total will be alot higher. It was a relatively easy install. The YJ park brake cables fit into the 8.8. I found that the easiest way to run the hyd. brake line was to use the YJ line, it does fit into the 8.8 wheel cylinders. The worst part was to remove the spring perches and weld on new ones. The 8.8 perches didn't line up with the YJ leaf width by 1/2 inch.
Good luck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hrmmm... MuddyJeep. it's not the perches I'm worried about. I hope to do an SOA at the same time, so I can bloody well leave the old ones on. The brakes. Now that's what scares me. For a rear axle, I figure all you have to do is wel the perches on, bolt the springs to it, and away you go. I know there's more to it, but when I look at a brake cable, it scares me. Kind of like when I was 16 and I needed an oil change (my school never had an auto class, so I allways brought it to a mech). Frankly, when I see brake lines, they're usually mudded up and rusted, so I tend to shy away. I haven't had an e-brake for over a year now, but every time I'm under the jeep I think about it. Are brakes really that scary? Every time I read about an axle swap, it's usually the brake lines that cause grief. Is there something I could/should do to my brakes that will end the phobia? (Fixing my e-brake would be a good start :) ) Hrmm... soa eh? I think I should save more cash.. SLE... driveshafts... pitman arm... brake extenders... WELDER!!.... darn I wish I hadn't drank tonight...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the 8.8 swap as well. Brake lines can be mated with the original Stock brake flange on the frame rail near the back Drivers side. The Emerg Brake will be your only problem and you will have to tack on a chunk from your stock Dana 35 pad to make the cable attach to the 8.8. I never really worried much about the Emerg Brake.

Most 95 and up are (4:10's) with disk's

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quote:
"I never really worried much about the Emerg Brake. "

WTF?
This part of your Jeep IS important, and there is a good reason why it has been givin the name that it has. Just fix it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well depends on how you look at it. I use My Jeep for trail only and when was the last time you had to use your emergency brake for what it's called ??? on the trail ?

Have you ever..??

Also it was what I said I chose to do I did not say "Dont you worry about the emerg Brake"

Take er easy fella ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MuddyJeep said:
Quote:
"I never really worried much about the Emerg Brake. "

WTF?
This part of your Jeep IS important, and there is a good reason why it has been givin the name that it has. Just fix it!
After this stern response, I decided to have a look and see why I haven't had the use of my emerg brake for the last couple of years.

I always (out of habit) use the emerg brake when getting out of the jeep. Because of this, Whenever I'm underneath it, I see this:

It looks good, but since I was determined to fix my emerg, I actually had a look with it released:

Follow the lines, and you get this on the rear right:

It looks like 14 years of the emerg. brake line rubbing against the frame took its toll. How is the line supposed to go from the body/frame to the brake? Anybody have a pic of a good one?

·
Registered
722 Posts
squirrelbait said:
Well depends on how you look at it. I use My Jeep for trail only and when was the last time you had to use your emergency brake for what it's called ??? on the trail ?

Have you ever..??

;)

Have you ever gone down a very steep hill and you don't have low enough gears to keep the Jeep to a slow managable speed, or even with low gearing it's still rolling too fast for comfort?
This is when you wish you had your ebrake so you can push it in a couple of clicks to help slow down your rolling speed. That's why you'll want your ebrake on the trails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is always a valid point to have things werking that were there in the first place I am not arguing that but then again if ya look at the post I did not say to anyone that they should do what I do I said " I never really worried about a E - Brake" Everybody has a different opinion and mine was not needed as my brakes werked just fine and yes I have been on a steep hill before :rolleyes: and the 8.8 with the disk brakes held just fine ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rude -

There's a bracket on the underside of the tub, right in the middle, that the passenger-side e-brake line is bolted to. I'm pretty sure that that's the only connection to it, between the two ends.

You could probably zip-tie it to the diff, if you wanted.

Chris

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey Rude, as least you found your problem. If your other brake cable has the same problem (from the pics it looks like the lower line is moving) replace them both(at least change the one). It's real easy. Then when you are done cut open a piece of heater hose and wrap it around the part that will contact the frame where it rubbed through (pic #3). Zap strap it in place and your new line will last alot longer.

I was not all bent out of shape in my previous post, I was making a point. I do get all anal about the safty aspects, thats just me.:baby
I like the idea of a second braking system that does not rely on hyd. pressure. So if there is a hyd failure I can still stop. Yes there are saftys built into the Hydrolic system. But its the same as me bringing a tire plug kit and a spare tire. I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got off the phone with Lordco. The cable will be here tomorrow afternoon. ($21 - disc.) I'll be so stoked to have my e-brake working again!
:*******

·
Registered
418 Posts
8.8 pricing

I can tell you pro-truck in abby wants a mere $1500.00 for an explorer 8.8 with discs,4:10's and a whatever traction device comes stock from ford.kamloops was $1100.00.what are these guys smoking?:angry

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scott - With those prices, they better be new axles. Last weekend (when I thought I had money) There was a bunch of trashed Ford Exploders with intact rearends and a few people I talked to only wanted $300=$500 for EVERYTHING! (complete axle with brakes, driveshaft, xfer case, transmission) I figure if I bought the complete deal for $500, I could sell off the parts I don't need, and come out even. (With a complete 8.8 for my rear).
Now if I could save up and get everything I need, I'd have a my spring over with a new 8.8!:welder

1 - 19 of 19 Posts