BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Am going to look at a 1980 ford f250 with a camper setup, is there anything anyone can tell me to look out for mechanicaly on this 4x4. never owned an american truck before but have a pretty good understanding of machinery in general as own 5 landrovers and a unimog plus tractors etc back home in west indies. Its unfortunatley an automatic but price seems good and people sound nice.Thanks for any tips you may offer, safe driving,Baje.

G

·
Look at the frame, see all those holes??? Ford had a great idea that year to lighten the truck a bit. Made for a very weak frame. This year of F-250 should be avoided unless you plan on plating the frame.

·
Registered
167 Posts
baje said:
:D Am going to look at a 1980 ford f250 with a camper setup, is there anything anyone can tell me to look out for mechanicaly on this 4x4. never owned an american truck before but have a pretty good understanding of machinery in general as own 5 landrovers and a unimog plus tractors etc back home in west indies. Its unfortunatley an automatic but price seems good and people sound nice.Thanks for any tips you may offer, safe driving,Baje.
If you plan on hauling a camper with this truck run from the auto.
look at the front cab mounts and sight carfully along the body line.
If it has any sag at all run. Ford put way to many holes in the 80 frames mine has been ok and has been way overloaded too many times but it is the exception not the rule. other known problems are the front joints all 3 u joints in the front axle and the worst is that slip spline thingy I've stripped 3 and don't use 4x4 much. Pull the floor mats and look for holes right under the gas peddle. the floor is doubled here so looking underneeth isn't good enough. Rot at the base of the B piller can also be a problem. My dash elecrics are horible most important systems have been bypassed I htink this is from spending years in fort nelson but it could be a comon problem.

Pat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 79 f250 regular cab will be availible soon. It has a d44 front axle. Some of the equipment on th 79 is better than the newer ones. I has a 351 and a c6 auto tranny. If you want to look at it let me know.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts