BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im so sick of aluminum, ive broken 3 transfer case`s because of aluminum, and last night I broke the tranny to t case extension off my zf tranny, now do you think its a 30 minute job to fix that, no, not like a ranger or like m5r1 or r2 in 4.0 litre rangers, explorers or f 150`s, no ,. The trannys gotta come out, then completly dissassembled, down to a bare housing, gear cluster, pile of shift forks, empty tail housing, then put it all in a new tail housing, put it all back together a few times untill the correct preload is on each shaft. A total of a friggin 6 and a half hours.....why??????? cuz its friggin ALUMINUM And I dont want to hear the swap to this and that.. why should we have to swap the old into our new to make them tough..If one of these big truck makers comes back to the 70`s quality I know where Im spending my money. And it wont be on an aluminum truck, and the money Ill save from repairs is gona go to a couple of aluminum cans and a cooler

·
Registered
95 Posts
HEY STAINS 50 bucks for my np208, its alluminum.. hehehehe seriouslly. I have no need for it.

------------------
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by Stains:
im so sick of aluminum, ive broken 3 transfer case`s because of aluminum, and last night I broke the tranny to t case extension off my zf tranny, now do you think its a 30 minute job to fix that, no, not like a ranger or like m5r1 or r2 in 4.0 litre rangers, explorers or f 150`s, no ,. The trannys gotta come out, then completly dissassembled, down to a bare housing, gear cluster, pile of shift forks, empty tail housing, then put it all in a new tail housing, put it all back together a few times untill the correct preload is on each shaft. A total of a friggin 6 and a half hours.....why??????? cuz its friggin ALUMINUM And I dont want to hear the swap to this and that.. why should we have to swap the old into our new to make them tough..If one of these big truck makers comes back to the 70`s quality I know where Im spending my money. And it wont be on an aluminum truck, and the money Ill save from repairs is gona go to a couple of aluminum cans and a cooler
Actually, the aluminum is plenty strong for a gear box. Its the cheesey frame that twists like a noodle and over stresses the mounts, or poor maintenence making it grenade. Aluminum is strong, light, and the newer cases are usually more efficient. The last decent frame Ford made was a '77 Bronco, as far as I know. Pity.

------------------
Drive fast, take chances!
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thatks for the good deals on the t cases but I now have an endless supply of drive train parts. verry quickly I will be running a 60 in front and somthing like a 10 1/4 or a 70 or 80 rear . Now onto the aluminum, the transfer case is just fine , what I broke was the tail housing of my ZF5 speed. It does not simply unbolt like off an auto or most other 4 or 5 speeds. the part that broke has the transmissions shift rods, reverse idler gear and shaft, main shaft and counter shaft supported in it. It is the rear half of my transmission. Now the reason it broke was too much traction in the front, the front drive shaft didnt want to turn and the transmissions output shaft was trying to turn, so it just twisted the tail housing . The ribbing and or gussets cast into this piece of BROKEN ALUMINUM are designed to support the t cases weight and side to side movement, if you look at one its obvious they have much less twisting resistance. Frame flex has nothing at all to do with what happened. that thought is just silly, neither does matinence how the hell can I prevent aluminum failure. I change my fluids every couple weeks (yes I realy do I have to, crap still gets past the rear ouput seal eventhough its new and you cant completely water proof where the shifter enters the tranny) And the frame defexes what maby 3 degrees between the tranny and motor mounts points and the tranny mount itself I know can go past 10 degrees before its at its max so frame flex puts no more stress on it than I do tightening the drain plug

·
Registered
382 Posts
It sounds like you need a way to control torque reaction in your transmission/transfercase?
maybe you need an Anti-wrap bar for your transmission?
on my dana18 t-case in the Willys I have a regular tranny mount in the centre and on the pass. side it has an extra bushing mount like a pin-type shock mount, this keeps the torque from the driveshafts from ripping the engine mounts apart...
Another "solution...." is to get rid of the married transfercase setup that you have, find a good old NP435 and divorced 205 setup from an older truck, swap it all in and then you can mount that 205 with some kickass mounts that will not bag out on you....

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota
Soon to require a Mile -per - year speedometer http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
If ya dont like aluminium dont ever buy a new vehicle, everybody is using it to save weight, manufacturers are even replacing some aluminum parts with plastic and carbon fibre, steel is becoming a thing of the past as far drivetrains are concerned.

------------------
If it aint fix dont broke it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts