BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was wondering if you could fill me in on anything on a ford rager 4x4 about 1986 or so iwas wondering if they are good 4x4s and what are some problems they have that i should look for when looking at one thanx
Marc

·
Registered
898 Posts
For 4x4ing, I would definitely opt for the V6 (the 2.3 is reliable (though I never had a good one...), but generally is just too limited to work with. 85 and older have the 2.8 (a good engine, but Ford REALLY messed up the ignition on it), while the 86+ had the 2.9 EFI (not sure when the 3.0 was added), and around 1990 the 4.0 was an option.

If you want it for wheeling, avoid the auto hubs or electronic shift T-cases (both have expensive reliability issues).

Expect to find oil leaks on the engine. While a LOT of leaking may indicate a problem, both the 2.8 and 2.9 are notorious for warped valvecovers, so they often leak oil. Just part of owning one...

My biased opinion is that the Ranger can be an excellent 4x4. There are plenty of them out there, so if you are a fit-it-yourself kinda guy with a yard, parts can be dirt cheap. They perform fairly well in most situations, but the TTB (almost a solid-axle, but still a form of IFS) can take a bit of getting used to.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
From my experience... don't get the 4banger, and get power steering.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ive got a 91 reg cab xlt 4L 4x4 and its a great little truck. The 4L is a great engine lots of power . Dont go the cheap route and buy a 4banger , it just aint worth it. starting in the 91 year trucks that have the 4L came with a ttb dana35 front axle and 8.8 rear axle ,the strongest axles in and ranger model.
you can also check out www.therangerstation.com or www.rrorc.com both great sources of info.
...................Kev

·
Registered
75 Posts
i''ve got a 87(even though my profile sayz 86 -maybe a should change it)- you go thru tones of front stub shafts on the dana 28 front diff-if you run 33's -they will warp your box and take a little out of your fender--I swapped in a dana 35 (thankx greg) and changed my gear to 3.73---were the 3.45 was a little high-engine been good-clutches go-I've gone thru 3 in 2 years-(but wheeling and pulling people out-does burn it pretty good)---
I had many problems but not really any that weren't self inflicted--
that front diff is only good for stock size tires-I wold swap in a 8.8 if I could ever find one at a good price--
hope that helps
N8

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 90 ranger, bought it in 96. we put in a 4ltr shortly after we bought it, out of a 94 explorer, with low mileage and it runs AWESOME!! we've rolled ours, just went to the wrecker and grabbed new hood, doors etc and then painted. about 3 years ago we put in a 4" suspension lift and run 32's on it. Been pulled out a couple of times, but that was due to driver error, not performance of the vehicle. We are really on top of maintenance, the truck gets a full look over before every trip and that seems to help out. Definately stay away from the 2.9 ltr though, they have some sort of problem with the cam bearings, not certain exactly how it works... but we spent mucho moolah before we figured out the engine was actually pooched. I don't have any complaints about my ranger..... so have FUN!!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
ive got a 1990 ranger stock. i already regret not getting soemthing with a straight axle seeing how its is so dam expencive to modify. ive got the 2.9L very high kms and still running strong had no problems with it yet. and the things rad offroad and the front end can take a good hit and keep going. the one thing with rangers is the rotors are a bit small so u go threw brake pads kinda fast if the dam thing has auto hubs still ull blow them out with in ur first couple offroad trips and my friends got a 3inch body lift and 1inch suspension lift and he says that if he puts 32s on he'll get rubbing hes got 31s. hey fast ford what u have to change to put that 4.0L in.

·
Registered
200 Posts
wannabetoydriver said:
hey guys i was wondering if you could fill me in on anything on a ford rager 4x4 about 1986 or so iwas wondering if they are good 4x4s and what are some problems they have that i should look for when looking at one thanx
Marc
My '88 Ranger is just fine for 4x4ing. I have had to replace a steering box, but thats just my fault, one thing you really need to keep and eye on for the Rangers is the Radius Arm Bushings. They are notorious for dying fairly soon after installing (around 7 or 8 months i guess). But the Ranger is excellent for offroading, they can take a beating, but to a point. Get the 2.9L V6, and when you get the truck (if it hasn't already got them on) get a set of 235 inch tires. The rangers come stock with 215's. They are just too small for anything, plus the truck looks goofy with small tires on it.:canadian

·
Registered
13 Posts
get it

I've got an 88 Ranger 4x4 w/ a 2.9L. I put a 3" body lift in it so I put on some 30" tires. I love my truck but it leaks a ton of oil, both engine and power steering fluid. I'm about to swap in a 4.0L and a Dana 35 front axle so I can run 33's with a 3" suspension lift. If you do buy it, lift it. Make sure the engines still strong and that you get manual hubs. To give you an idea of capability, I broke trail in 2.5 feet of snow, while my buddy in his early Bronco kept sliding out behind me. Anyway, if you get it, good choice:canadian

·
Registered
643 Posts
Or you could always buy my 92 for really cheap!! Since I need to get rid of it. It leaks a bit of oil, nothing major. Everything else is good, cept the rear pinion, its a bit loose. I'm gonna miss it. I do have pics of it too!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Crack said:
Or you could always buy my 92 for really cheap!! Since I need to get rid of it. It leaks a bit of oil, nothing major. Everything else is good, cept the rear pinion, its a bit loose. I'm gonna miss it. I do have pics of it too!
LOL! you should temporarily change your sig while you sell :) How cheap is really cheap?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'd take $3500 and thats a smokin deal for it

·
Registered
92 Posts
if your worried about gas milage dont kid yourself and get a smaller engine! I have an 84 Bronco II and the 2.8 litre engine gets almost exactly the same milage ans the 4Litre.

I've only owned the truck a month or 2 now so I couldnt tell you if anything was bad about it or not. I totally agree that the 215s are too small...but Im stuck with them for now. Try to find one with the 4.10 gears if your going a later model cause the 3.73 aren't too great fro crawling.

the truck in the bush, is unstoppable! I beat the crap out of mine the fist time i went up and it just kept goin....well...until i sunk it in mud up to the doors. the only changes to be made is a little more ground clearance and a little grippier tires and your set. I've got no complaints about them so far.... and hey if I do you'll hear about it, cause i like to b*tch...lol.

Ii have a question for anyone who would know too... how big of tires can you fit on a stock BII without lift, and with MINIMAL cutting?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
metallicajunky said:
I have an 84 Bronco II and the 2.8 litre engine gets almost exactly the same milage ans the 4Litre.
how big of tires can you fit on a stock BII without lift, and with MINIMAL cutting?
It doesn't much matter what motor you run, you are still pulling the same weight around with the same resistance at the same speed. the only place you will lose fuel economy is around town, where (I) tend to accelerate as fast as possible, and its possible to accelerate faster with a bigger motor :) In my Rangers, 2.0L, 2.3T, 2.9L, and 5L all seemed to get me 14-16mpg in town and 16-18 over the Coquahalla Hwy, give or take. If babied, I could get 17+ town and 20+ hwy from all, but I can't drive like that for long! Next month my 4.0L should be up and running and I'll let you know how it does.
As for tires, on a B2 you can run 30's with little or no trimming, or 31's with more cutting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts