BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I got my Jeep - 91 Islander (virgin) 4.0L 5speed. 174K , 3 tops ........ 4 inch susp lift is on the way .

woooohooo!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one doesnt have the islander sunrise on it anymore . just the black stripes on hood and body . Next weekend the 3.5 " BDS lift is going in ......yeeee haaaw . let the fun begin . :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I didn't get the lift in yet ----Sunday -I hope!!
I 'm also thinking of doing a 2 or 3" body lift .

Question: Will 33"x12.5 fit on stock Yj rims ????This would not be permanent just till I can scrape up some more cash for food and rims !
:*******

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lars , you running the BDS lift as well ? If ,so did you use the front and rear leafs or just four fronts ?I went online to BDS and the recomended running the fronts in the rear if you have a hardtop or a heavy duty tire carrier . Since I have a hard top and plan on getting the carrier thats what I did. Now I'm just wondering how stiff will it be with the top off? Did I goof ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes run the front leaves in the rear....I bought the rears before I knew better and have had to swap them out on warranty twice, had them sag 2" on me. BTW get ready for a rough ride..... these springs are stiff:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks .....gwg ....the stiff ride is ok .....as long as i don't have to be swaping leaves every 6 months . I guess i can always air down a bit to soften the ride up .

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Lars , you running the BDS lift as well ? If ,so did you use the front and rear leafs or just four fronts ?I went online to BDS and the recomended running the fronts in the rear if you have a hardtop or a heavy duty tire carrier . Since I have a hard top and plan on getting the carrier thats what I did. Now I'm just wondering how stiff will it be with the top off? Did I goof ?
I'm kinda late with this answer (I'm on vacation) but I'm not running the BDS springs...just using modified stock spring packs.

The odd thing is, I've always run stock REAR springs in front and back.
In my experience, the factory rears seem to be stronger than the fronts.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that the stock rear and front springs are the same strength . It's just that the fronts sag out sooner becouse the weight of the motor .

On the bds website they say to run fronts front and rear if you have a hardtop or a tire carrier .I guess that their rears are a little weaker .

Got the 3.5" suspention lift , 3" body lift and 35" tires on today..took a total of 6 hours .(damned nice to have a mechanic buddy with access to a hoist )

So a huge thanx goes out to lil'deuce .

First impression . Damn this thing is big.
second impression . Damn this thing is big.

The ride on the Bds setup is nowhere near as stiff as I feared . I need to get new rims soon .

35"x12.5" on 7" stock rims = no turning radius is a huge understatement .

We ran into one snag when we were doing the body lift .The body mount at the driver side footwell bolt will turn but it won't back out ? we actually wore througn the bottom washer trying to undo it . We will have to fix this afrter we get some oxy for the torch . Other than that it all went without a hitch .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Almost as big as me

Looks good rusty you guys did a wicked job.:beer :beer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts