BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me the difference between Four-Wheel-Drive and All-Wheel-Drive? I understand that Four-Wheel-Drive is really a "true" 2 wheel...fit lockers in and you get "true" Four-Wheel-Drive. What about All-Wheel-Drive vehicles? Do they get "true" four wheel drive without lockers? ***confused newbie***

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Can someone please explain to me the difference between Four-Wheel-Drive and All-Wheel-Drive? I understand that Four-Wheel-Drive is really a "true" 2 wheel...fit lockers in and you get "true" Four-Wheel-Drive. What about All-Wheel-Drive vehicles? Do they get "true" four wheel drive without lockers? ***confused newbie***
No. It depends on the system. The key diff. btwn AWD and FWD is that AWD has a differential in the transfer case. This allows you to run in fwd on pavement and other high traction surfaces. FWD doesn't have this so it is often referred to as a part-time FWD system. BTW, AWD and full-time FWD are, IMO, the same thing.

Whether or not all four wheels turn is still dictated by what you have in the front and rear diffs. For instance, you could stick front/rear lockers in a SelecTrac Jeep. It has an AWD mode so that would give you true 4x4. However, you can't do that with a Subaru (I'm unaware of lockers for them) yet they do have AWD systems.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Don't Forget, that most All wheel drives systems only have a single speed transfer case, where as a fulltime 4wd system still has a low range...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts