BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my toy has a rust hole in front of the laef hanger behind the cab located between the first 2 box mounts.
I need tips on what to do from the pros!:(

·
Registered
389 Posts
well first off,if it is rotten there it is most likey to be rotten more then just there.so first things first.take a welder chipper hamer and get a creeper and tap the intire frame ,dont need to take the hammer and swing it really hard but hard enough to let you know if it is rotten there,like a little more then a gentel tap\.
you will next of have togo to the out side of the frame and repeat the process.
once you have done this you will now know of how much steel you will need to do this repair job,or you might deside to just buy a new frame.
but if you deside to do the repair you will have to get the proper steel,and a welder.make sure you cut 4 inches more of metal extra need off the rotten stuff/frame.then make a pattern of the frame peice you cut out,next is take some rust not or somr thin like so spray inside of frame let dry, then clean off the black primer metal that this stuff creates, then repeat the process, one this is done prep the out side of the frame ,no paint or under coating.
set you wire feed welder to about 30 amps ,and you will need a torch so you can heat the metal up a bit,not cherry red but warm enough so you dont create warpage and cristilize your metel.
one you have done this patch job you will then havbe to do anpouther patch job but more like plateing the out side of the frame.its like creating a frame over a frame.reson for this is stonger and last longer and helps spreed the work.weight load if you ever load up the frame with weght. once all said and done then if you want under coat it,but spray yhe rust not on before that to help p[revent the toy famous cancer.well this is my 2 cents worth .

·
Registered
296 Posts
inspection

What if his ride ever gets inspected ? Will it pass? I have a shackle reversal on mine and have always wondered if one day I will get popped for it. Some of the welds are a little ugly,appearance wise.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Welding and frames are a bad mix when it comes to a VI. I'm pretty sure anything welding done to a frame is an automatic fail, unless done by a certified welder or something.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
no need to pre-heat mild steel for welding, just tack the piece on every 6 inches or so with a decent tack and then go back and fully weld it. if your welds look good there should'nt be any problems with a vi. hope this helps:welder

·
Registered
76 Posts
Speaking as a certified "B" welder/fabricator, I ageree with the plan laid out. I was once asked to repair a crack in a friends '82 toy frame. We removed the box for a better view. We were then able to, by hand, fold the framerail from the passengers side to the drivers side. We replaced the frame. I beleive his crack was in about the same place as your rot. Checking out your frame would be the first step. A chipping hammer works best but hitting hard with a screwdriver would also work. Be prepared to park it if you find a real problem, safety first you know. Welding in a new peice isn't very hard, 80% preperation, 20% welding ability. The addition of a splice plate is good from a structural point of view, but is a red flag for inspections. I had a ford with TTB that ripped the frame to shreads between the steering box and spring mount. It was welded, gusseted,. braced and stiffened to the point where thewre was no flex at all, but everything done to repair the problem just moved the problem. Went through a roadside inspection with the MOT boys there. He looked at it, questioned it, I told him my qualifications, he left it alone. The 20 other glaring problems got me a 30 day though. If I remember correctly the MVAct states that no welding is allowed in a frame except by a certified frame welder. There is no certification available in BC for a frame welder. It's one of those Grey areas, legally, it can't be done with the regs as they stand, if you do a good job, and it looks propperly done, you shouldn't have a problem. It's been several years since I researched the subject but thing in goverment regs should take about 10 years to change. Good luck.

:welder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts