BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard somewhere that there is a guy on the mainland who builds 80's toyota frames.

can someone shed some light on this for me.

thanks
:cool:

·
Registered
389 Posts
he doesnt build them he can repair them good,but doesnt build them
still intrested?

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
matkins extreem frames fabricates new ones with up to a 10 year warrantee. do a search on the web for them

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm looking for a frame right now also so I've emailed them and asked some questions. I'll post what I learn from them when I get a reply.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Re: Matkine Extreme Frames

Thanks for asking. You will notice the construction of our Toyota pickup frames is beefier than that for the Jeeps throughout all categories of frames we make. This is because these vehicles are heavier and much more demanding than Jeeps.We make four frames for your Toyota pickup starting at $1495 for our Economy Frame. Our Extreme Frames are oversized and fully welded as is required by NASCAR and Super Trucks. They start at $1595. Since the Toyotas are heavier and a bit more rugged than the Jeeps, we have heavier frames for them. The Extreme Frames have 5 1/4x3 inch construction through the middle. The following will give specs and prices. The Level I Extreme Frame has a cross section of steel of 2.61 square inches through the middle. Rail height is 5.25 in the middle and the flange is 3 inches top and bottom. The warranty on these is 10 years for trail, life time as long as you own the vehicle for road use against any breakage. The warranty covers full replacement or repair including shipping within the continental U. S. and Canada. Price is $1595. The Level II Extreme Frame has a cross section of 3.62, rail height of 5.25, and 3 inch flanges. The warranty is the same as Level l, but covers lifetime or as long as you own the vehicle both road and trail. Price is $1795. The Level III Extreme Frame has a cross section of 4.50, rail height is 5.25 and the flanges are 3 inches. The warranty is the same as Level ll. Price is $1995. Want the smooth look of a mandrel bent frame without breaking the bank? Or your frame rail? Here's your answer. Our Economy Frames have one purpose–ECONOMY. These frames will restore your beloved daily driver and hunting rig to OE strength. These are constructed in the same way as the competition's "heavy duty" bent frames, except they are actually as strong as stock and a lot less expensive. Compare our Cross Section of steel at 2.7-2.9 square inches to their 1.9-2.1 and our 4.25x3 inch construction to their little 4x2 rails. Before bending and reinforcing, the tube dimensions are 4x3x3/16. Of course, we use the heavier Matkins Extreme cross members and other components. And we still drill and thread–no welded in nuts! These frames will give no body lift, but they are only $1495. Bending weakens the rails three ways. First, the metal on the outside of the curve is stretched. If you start with .120, standard 1/8, wall 4x2 and bend a gentle 12 inch center line radius, the outside wall is stretched and thinned to less than .085 inch. This qualifies as sheet metal and you can bet that the other companies will not tell you this little secret. Standard 3/16 starts at .188 and becomes .135 or less. Second, bent metal is crystallized metal. That is why an Allen wrench tends to break at the knee. The rails will be as weak as a frame that has been in a wreck and straightened! At EVERY corner. Third, most bending machines leave the tube wrinkled and/or partially collapsed at the corners. This is even worse than the stretching. To some extent, all bent frames suffer from this flaw. Even most ad pictures can't completely hide it. We love the after market industry and that is why we take the time to expose these sorts of things to our friends, whether they buy from us or not. Many of our friends are on the national rock crawling circuit and we sponsor a few. These factors have contributed to the trouble that 4x2 frames have had traditionally. Perhaps these factors are why the companies with under sized rails don't talk about outside dimensions and cross sections. Now let me say a word about finishes. Unless instructed otherwise, we send these out primed. It is easiest on your end to have the chassis finished after you have horsed it around and scratched it up putting on lines, axles, and so forth. We charge $450 to powder coat it any color you want. But it does nothing for the rust. Box tube frames rust from the inside out. As far as I know, few folks in the country can get the inside coated. And how do you get it clean enough? There will be cutting oil, smoke, and mill scale inside. We will do it, but it will only protect the outside. The competition is offering a 10 year rust-through warranty if you hand them $400 or 500 for the job. This seems odd to me since an uncoated frame will last 20-30 years in most environments. Galvanizing is available for $425, but it presents much the same problem. The mill scale and other contaminants are not likely to be completely removed from the inside. Of course we only offer hot dip galvanizing, not zinc paint or "cold galvanizing." This process, if you choose it, will void our warranty as holes have to be drilled to let the zinc in and the air out of some spaces. Our approach to rust is to eliminate all unnecessary rail holes. This prevents mud loading so the inside can dry. Then you can fill the rails with a product like POR15. This is a fraction of the cost of other things. Or we can do a similar treatment for $195. We offer a limited lifetime warranty against rust through and so does POR15. We are currently using a DuPont product that is not available in small quantities.
Finally, any parts other than axles, bodies, and roll bars purchased with a frame will be shipped free with the frame without adding anything to the cost of shipping the frame.
Can we send you a free catalog? All we need is your postal address. Also, since August is traditionally a slow month shipping anywhere in the continental US and Canada is free in August.

Phil Perkins, owner.
406-248-3797

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe that 4offroad in maple ridge replaces the frame from the cab back. It heard costs around $1500

I was talking to the owner of Swat 4x4 in Surrey about repairing my frame. He said it takes about 3 hours per side at $65 an hour. I also heard he does a great job.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: Re: Matkine Extreme Frames

Spudzz said:
Thanks for asking. You will notice the construction of our Toyota pickup frames is beefier than that for the Jeeps throughout all categories of frames we make. This is because these vehicles are heavier and much more demanding than Jeeps.We make four frames for your Toyota pickup starting at $1495 for our Economy Frame. Our Extreme Frames are oversized and fully welded as is required by NASCAR and Super Trucks. They start at $1595. Since the Toyotas are heavier and a bit more rugged than the Jeeps, we have heavier frames for them. The Extreme Frames have 5 1/4x3 inch construction through the middle. The following will give specs and prices. The Level I Extreme Frame has a cross section of steel of 2.61 square inches through the middle. Rail height is 5.25 in the middle and the flange is 3 inches top and bottom. The warranty on these is 10 years for trail, life time as long as you own the vehicle for road use against any breakage. The warranty covers full replacement or repair including shipping within the continental U. S. and Canada. Price is $1595. The Level II Extreme Frame has a cross section of 3.62, rail height of 5.25, and 3 inch flanges. The warranty is the same as Level l, but covers lifetime or as long as you own the vehicle both road and trail. Price is $1795. The Level III Extreme Frame has a cross section of 4.50, rail height is 5.25 and the flanges are 3 inches. The warranty is the same as Level ll. Price is $1995. Want the smooth look of a mandrel bent frame without breaking the bank? Or your frame rail? Here's your answer. Our Economy Frames have one purpose–ECONOMY. These frames will restore your beloved daily driver and hunting rig to OE strength. These are constructed in the same way as the competition's "heavy duty" bent frames, except they are actually as strong as stock and a lot less expensive. Compare our Cross Section of steel at 2.7-2.9 square inches to their 1.9-2.1 and our 4.25x3 inch construction to their little 4x2 rails. Before bending and reinforcing, the tube dimensions are 4x3x3/16. Of course, we use the heavier Matkins Extreme cross members and other components. And we still drill and thread–no welded in nuts! These frames will give no body lift, but they are only $1495. Bending weakens the rails three ways. First, the metal on the outside of the curve is stretched. If you start with .120, standard 1/8, wall 4x2 and bend a gentle 12 inch center line radius, the outside wall is stretched and thinned to less than .085 inch. This qualifies as sheet metal and you can bet that the other companies will not tell you this little secret. Standard 3/16 starts at .188 and becomes .135 or less. Second, bent metal is crystallized metal. That is why an Allen wrench tends to break at the knee. The rails will be as weak as a frame that has been in a wreck and straightened! At EVERY corner. Third, most bending machines leave the tube wrinkled and/or partially collapsed at the corners. This is even worse than the stretching. To some extent, all bent frames suffer from this flaw. Even most ad pictures can't completely hide it. We love the after market industry and that is why we take the time to expose these sorts of things to our friends, whether they buy from us or not. Many of our friends are on the national rock crawling circuit and we sponsor a few. These factors have contributed to the trouble that 4x2 frames have had traditionally. Perhaps these factors are why the companies with under sized rails don't talk about outside dimensions and cross sections. Now let me say a word about finishes. Unless instructed otherwise, we send these out primed. It is easiest on your end to have the chassis finished after you have horsed it around and scratched it up putting on lines, axles, and so forth. We charge $450 to powder coat it any color you want. But it does nothing for the rust. Box tube frames rust from the inside out. As far as I know, few folks in the country can get the inside coated. And how do you get it clean enough? There will be cutting oil, smoke, and mill scale inside. We will do it, but it will only protect the outside. The competition is offering a 10 year rust-through warranty if you hand them $400 or 500 for the job. This seems odd to me since an uncoated frame will last 20-30 years in most environments. Galvanizing is available for $425, but it presents much the same problem. The mill scale and other contaminants are not likely to be completely removed from the inside. Of course we only offer hot dip galvanizing, not zinc paint or "cold galvanizing." This process, if you choose it, will void our warranty as holes have to be drilled to let the zinc in and the air out of some spaces. Our approach to rust is to eliminate all unnecessary rail holes. This prevents mud loading so the inside can dry. Then you can fill the rails with a product like POR15. This is a fraction of the cost of other things. Or we can do a similar treatment for $195. We offer a limited lifetime warranty against rust through and so does POR15. We are currently using a DuPont product that is not available in small quantities.
Finally, any parts other than axles, bodies, and roll bars purchased with a frame will be shipped free with the frame without adding anything to the cost of shipping the frame.
Can we send you a free catalog? All we need is your postal address. Also, since August is traditionally a slow month shipping anywhere in the continental US and Canada is free in August.

Phil Perkins, owner.
406-248-3797
that is the cats meow I would sure like one of those .... drewl,drewl

·
Registered
183 Posts

Since the Toyotas are heavier and a bit more rugged than the Jeeps,
:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
that would be a nice start for a tube buggy, pic up a frame and start bending. those must be american prices though, website??

·
Registered
190 Posts
Gullygossner said:
that would be a nice start for a tube buggy, pic up a frame and start bending. those must be american prices though, website??
Those are :usa $$$, they claim to include shipping in the price but if you wanna drive to Billings MT... your close then we are here I think. You might save some, and here is the link to the website www.matkinsextreme.com

·
Registered
802 Posts
When they say "Toyota", they are referring to FJ-40's. That's why they say that Toyotas are heavier than Jeeps, and why you cannot find truck frames listed.

Also, if you want to build a tube buggy, you wouldn't start off with a heavy box frame, you'd build the entire thing out of tubing the way Al built his "Liberty".

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry to crash a thread but the easiest way to build a buggy is to buy a rotten frame truck and saw it in half. Lots of guys have been doing it, cut the windshield pillars off and the back of the cab, cut the frame off at the rear of the cab and go tube from there back.

Mike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
MEK said:
Sorry to crash a thread but the easiest way to build a buggy is to buy a rotten frame truck and saw it in half. Lots of guys have been doing it, cut the windshield pillars off and the back of the cab, cut the frame off at the rear of the cab and go tube from there back.

Mike.

that is the only way to fly.. :D :cool: :canadian

·
Registered
802 Posts
MEK said:
Sorry to crash a thread but the easiest way to build a buggy is to buy a rotten frame truck and saw it in half. Lots of ******** from Squamish have been doing it.
:*******

·
Registered
83 Posts
Frame

I have a 79-83 rust free 4wd frame sitting beside my house some one can have for $100. Yes I did say no rust on it.

It is located in Kelowna.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Re: Frame

Mr.Zuki said:
I have a 79-83 rust free 4wd frame sitting beside my house some one can have for $100. Yes I did say no rust on it.

It is located in Kelowna.
DIBS DIBS DIBS!!!

Ok I want it just incase you missed that...
Only thing is I have no way of getting it to the coast and I'm moving up island to Courtenay at the end of the month.
E-mail me and lets see if we can't work something out that helps both of us. :D :D :D
And the obligitory... ya have any pics? :*******

Lets talk!

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
actually guys i was giving the people at matkins sh!t a while ago and it turns out they do make a frame for our pickups, however they dont have it up on the price lists yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts