BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am experiencing frog or cricket noises around the timing belt area of the engine. they remain constant and fairly loud when the engine is slightly cold, ie not started for a while. is it a bearing? is the belt to loose? the noises can go away for a little while after a drive but come back when its started again or idling. the noise kind of sound like its coming from the timing pulley on the drivers side, tried wd40 and it didnt work at all. help?

·
Registered
74 Posts
it could possibly be the belt/s. Try some belt dressing on them. You can get in spray or stick form from and C.T. or auto supply shop.

·
Registered
237 Posts
if its a squeeling or 'chirp' the belts could be loose, check for play in them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My belt does the same thing when it's cold out and first started up. Initially i thought it was a bearing as well but if it goes away when you spray belt dressing on it then it's just a glazed belt. Also try wire brushing the smooth side of the belt. It'll take away the glazing on the belt if that's the problem.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks guys, will get the dressing today HOPEFULLy it works, i dont wanna pay all that more money to a mechanic :*******

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually i did find 3 grasshoppers in the 3 inches of dust! :*******

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :(

Don't waste your money on Belt dressing just if it works it's only and temperary Fix and can cause you more hassles down the road, The belt dressing just coats your belts and pulleys and Goo. Just take a stiff wire brush and brush each side of the belt till the noise goes away if it dosen't, then best be buying a new belt. :cool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
chirping

buy some raid and kill the damn cricket

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey Weston, great point i see what ya mean. didnt get any belt dressing but the noise is gettin louder. time to buy a hummer :p

·
Registered
363 Posts
a bar of soap touched to the side of the belt while running works as good as the spray can crap. no lie! even if you do want to go get new ones its a free way to find out if thats the problem.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dont know, i just bought the belt and had it installed by a mechanic under 4 months ago! less then 700 k on it. any suggestion other then buyin the new belt? any possibility of it being a bearing?

·
Registered
47 Posts
It could be your Idler pulley, which has a bearing pressed into it. Pretty common in the WD21 Pathys for them to fail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had noises like that when my water pump was starting to go in my old Nissan p/u. Just another possibility.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i have a vg30i engine and i am hoping its not the water pump pulley... but i will let you know when the mechanic gives it back tomorrow

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did you get rid of those crickets? :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah buddy, actually i think i did. it was just a simple fan clutch. freakin cost me $360 bucks for the wrenchswinger to fix it though!!!! i coulda even fixed that. hey i noticed you have the ford springs in your pathy, how did you lift the front?

·
Registered
47 Posts
360.00!! Wow. You could have done an electric fan conversion with all the parts from the bone yard for under 40.00 - Fan and Temp sensor. I just did one using a Dodge Caravan 16" fan. It's so easy to do (how else could I do it?:D)

For the front end lift, I cranked the torsion bars 1.5" -1.75" I'd say not to go over 1.5" or at least leave .5" to .75" between the bump stops. Any higher and you put to much angle on the CV's and upper ball joints. Also, you restrict your down travel. If you want to go higher, then you need new UCA's.

I sit at a slight rake. No one else notices it, but I do.

I just figured out that you are Ryan - :cool: We've been emailing tech stuff about the Ford springs! :beer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts