BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie in the offroad world and could really use some help. For the past 2 years I have been working on nothing but integras and installing superchargers and many other things. Just recently I rode in my roommates CJ7 with 33" tires and I loved it!! I have the truck fever now and I'm hooked.

My head is about to explode with all of the knowledge I'm trying to take in. So I have to ask some questions for you guys. Check out my situation.

I love the Tacomas.
• Only want to spend between $8000-$9000
• I live in florida, and offroading would be minimal.
• Want to offroad on mud and beach occasionally.
• Daily Driver
• Here's what I like for susp.,tire,rim setup: Paste this link "http://toyotaoffroad.com/yourtrucks/images/jtribull1.jpg"
• Want Xtcab and 4 cycl. (for the mpg)
• Would like 33" Tires

From gathering the info I have. I'm thinking I should buy a 92 to 95 yota 4X4 base model and add the lift, tires, and rims with left over cash.

I'm so excited about getting a truck and I'm so close to just buying something on impulse. But I want to take my time and make sure I know exactly what I need and I do it the right way. Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Sounds like you know what you are looking for. Just make sure you take your time and with until you find the truck you want. There is lots of after market stuff out there for Toys, and they are good wheelers, with a little lift and tires. If you are going to get a 4 cyl you should put lower gears in it, so you can get enough power to get you through the mud and sand. Lockers are also a nice thing to have. Make sure you do some shopping areound for prices on the parts. If it is anyhting like up here, you will find prices can differ quite a bit between stores.

Happy hunting
Jarett

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, 3 wheels
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
193 Posts
First you need to seriously think about this long and hard. 99.9% of people that I know run out and buy really expensive newer 4x4's and get totally hooked and obsesed with four wheeling. Then they realize they bought the wrong rig for it and either spend thousands of dollars and hours swapping in a solid axel or selling the rig and buying one with a solid axel. Tacomas are pretty great trucks out of the box though. Make sure you get one with a rear electric locker, 31 inch tire package and try to stay away from the mid 90's to late 90's tacomas. They had twisty frames from the factory. Don't forget about the pre-tacomas. They are great trucks as well, just stay away from the 3.0 litre V6 and make sure you get a 5 spd!! Welcome to toyota, you will never leave.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 92 Toy Ex Cab with a 4 cyl and it was one of the best trucks I've ever had, as long as I didn't want to climb any long hills.
You can see a lot of trucks for sale on ebay and get a feel for the price ranges. I bought a truck on ebay and it turned out ok, but you are taking your chances. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I have a lot of research to do. I understand the importance of knowing exactly what you want before going out and buying something. I guess I'm becoming a Yota Man

You guys have been helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another great source of info for Toyotas (you may allready know this) is Downey Offroad. Of all places, I got to see a Toyota buildup in Cranbrook. All Downey upgrades. I was really impressed. It made the IFS look good.

------------------
I've used up my sick days, so I'm calling in dead, and I'd like three funeral days along with my weekend off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts