BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about rangers and how to get the second piece of the right axle out all help is appreciated.
Travis

·
Registered
39 Posts
You need to remove the TTB assembly to get to the diff case to open it to remove the c clip. It's a f'n money maker for ford but a great experience for you.

Remove the nuts off the rear of the radius arms. Remove your front spindles etc. With the truck supported on its frame remove the two bolts attaching the TTB's to their pivot points and drop the front end out. Only remove the drivers side if all you are doing is getting into the diff. While it's out you may as well install a Detroit EZ Locker if you have a Dana 35. A Dana 28 is a bit weak to run locked with larger tires and you may break something if you push it too hard. It's pretty easy when you get into it and can be done in a long afternoon with some help and a Haynes manual. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper than installing a real locker and getting your gears re-alligned. You will notice a lot of pull to the left and right when in 4x4 mode

I was in the same boat trying to change that inner u-joint and decided that since it's all apart now might as well call 4wheelparts wholesalers(1-800-421-1050), to order the EZ Locker,about $240 US and here in about 5 days.

Assembly is the reverse of dissassembly plus an allignment and new poly radius arm bushings.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
41 Posts
why are you taking it out , if youre only changing the u-joint it can be easily done in the truck with the right tools (hammer, punch, swearing)

·
Registered
39 Posts
He's got a point here. I don't think it's possible to do it with the whole front end intact but if you drop out just the passenger side TTB after removing the slip yoke boot it would probably give you enough room for one of them $60 u-joint removal tools from Princess Auto. They look like a big C-clamp and are meant to be used in a vise but there is lots under the truck to brace it against.

I still think take it all out, put in a little locker and change all your u-joints and seals and bearings at the same time. That way your good to go for at least another three years.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive done em with the whole truck together.. it isnt that hard.. A bit tough to get the clips off, if you know how to change u joint with out doing the vice and sockets deal, and know how to change them in the air , its the same thing. get the clips out, turn the axle so a cap in the diff side axle is pointed back at you and hit the middle axle on the yolk so it pushes the opposite cap out and away, turn 180 degrees and do the same. Now the midle axle is attached to only the outer axle and hub. pull off the hub, remove the snap ring, pull the axle twards the diff now you have the whole axle out with out doing a complete teardown of tha pass side knuckle, you also might be able to unbolt the diff from the housing to pull the drivers side axle out without taking the rotor, bearings, spindle off. I never tried the drivers side that way, but Im shure it will work. I know the pass side works that way. It saves hours of time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also realy realy realy doubt any mechanics at ford spends a few hours pulling the middle axle out of the housing just to change a U joint, they probabaly change them in the truck (and charge you the time it takes to pull it all apart) and Being a Ford only fan that I am, I wouldnt belive a ford tech if he told me they realy do yake them apart

·
Registered
14 Posts
you can do the center u-joint in the vehicle with the right tools ie u-joint tool little bit tight but can be done. Also i have been wonder if when you take the diff out and remove the c clip why bother putting it back in the axle cant go anywhere so i dont see why the clip has to go back in .

Think about that onr for a bit and let me know ,becuase if you left it out there would be no more problems with changing that u-joint

------------------
BIG BOYS DONT WEAR BOWTIES

1 - 9 of 9 Posts