BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay boys and girls

I'm still confused on something that a friend tried to explain to me so I'm nailing you guys with the question.

If I were to spool my front axle (stock d30) would the front end chirp when cutting a corner (when on the street) or would it not chirp. please explain why?

I was wondering this because I'm thinking of spooling the front end and I was under the assumption that unless the jeep was in 4 wheel drive that the fork actuater on the passenger side of the axle was not engaged that the tires could roll freely thus even if there was a spool it would not chirp. If I've confused you all its only cause I've lost myself.

As stated every other time, I'm by far a wheeling expert and I'm still learning the functions of certain parts of me truck.

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Registered
149 Posts
unless the jeep was in 4 wheel drive that the fork actuater on the passenger side of the axle was not engaged that the tires could roll freely thus even if there was a spool it would not chirp.
That is correct. However, in 4 wheel drive, your steering becomes that much tougher, and your turning readius becomes even bigger than a locker which does allow for some slip in a turn.
But in 2 wheel drive, you won't really know it's there.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by IBJeepin2:
If I were to spool my front axle (stock d30) would the front end chirp when cutting a corner (when on the street) or would it not chirp. please explain why?
It wouldn't chirp because the left/right wheels are disconnected when in 2WD, thanks to your axle shaft disconnect.

Steering would be a PITA in some situations, when in 4WD, though. Mostly when the traction is quite good. I know there were several times on the Rubicon when I wish I had a twin-stick shifter so I could go into 2-low. However, that kind of traction isn't as common up here.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

G

·
Search the net for a part called the posi-lok cable enguagement system. It replaces the stock vaccum lines with an in cab cable actuator which means you can unlock the front axle while still in 4wd. I have one and it works great!

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"I hope that was the skidplate"
www.members.home.net/ichris4x4/index

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one more quick question will a spool fit my full range of gearing options. Ie: if i buy it to fit my crappy 3.07 gears will it fit when i go to 4.10 in the future ofcourse.

thanks again

jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by ichris4x4:
Search the net for a part called the posi-lok cable enguagement system.
Or replace the transfer case vacuum switch with a manual one so you can use the existing system to manually lock/unlock the collar.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.