BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While greasing the truck today I noticed that I've lost the plug at the front of the front driveshaft, so I can't grease the splines as the grease just comes out where the plug was. I heard a rumour that I could just pound a frost plug into there as it's the same size; does anyone know if that's true? And if it's true, can I tack it into place, or is it there as a "safety" in the event somebody puts too much grease in the shaft, allowing it to pop out on compression?

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
319 Posts
You could probably find a frost plug that would fit but maybe have a look to see why it popped out in the first place. Is your driveshaft a little too long and when compressed, it drove out plug out? The plug should have a tiny hole drilled into it to allow air pressure or grease to escape when the driveshaft is compressed.

BTW I've still got your timing cover, where do you want me to drop it off at?

Ed

·
1,269 Posts
Ever seen those earplugs that expand into your ears after you squish them?

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
161 Posts
LOL

------------------
You havnt been wheeln' till you have been stuck

83 toy, long box, 22r, 35's, locked rear end, prerunner bumper, body work done bye sledge hammer.

Chicks dig body Dammage

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the shaft length is the reason; looking at the grease marks on the shaft shows the travel.

One of the guys at work offered to manufacture a plug, so that'll probably solve the problem. He was disappointed when I told him I didn't need stainless.

Ed, I should be in your area this weekend, maybe Saturday; I'll give you a call and will stop by if you're in.

Pete, yeah, if you use those foam ear plugs, it'll damp the driveshaft vibration and will stop all that noise.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts