BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not strictly 4x4 stuff, but 'land use' related, I suppose.

Last year was our first year staying in a few FS campgrounds (because we bought a Toyota 4Runner). We were looking forward to doing much of the same this year but...I received an email today from Bill Marshall, Senior Recreation Forester, Forest Practices Branch, Ministry of Forests.

He explained that the FS is giving up administration of the campgrounds, and the annual camping pass ($27) is soon to be no more.

Anyone have any info on the likelihood of what's going to happen to the 'free' camping in BC?

Ron
Winnipeg

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hmmm... This is BC, I don't think anyone can afford to have anything free anymore.

MAn we used to have it good, oh well time to come back to reality.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Most of the camping I do is in remote sites, so I've never had a fee-collector come by during the times I've stayed at a designated campsite. I don't think that will change. I suspect the only change you'll notice is no more maintenance at the campsites, ie. no litter pickup, no outhouses, deteriorating access roads, etc. Once the access roads become too rough for the average station wagon, expect the bridges to be pulled and the road closed for "safety and environmental reasons".

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by gto49:
Anyone have any info on the likelihood of what's going to happen to the 'free' camping in BC?
I think you'd probably still be ok but I'd be worried about road closures since Forestry can't afford to maintain roads and would be more inclined to close them to limit their liability.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
210 Posts
Its too bad that these sites look like they'll slowly deteriorate. Unfortunatley they can't afford to keep them going any more with all the cuts. Hopefully people will realize what a great thing these sites are for people like us and they won't be ruined by mindless fools, like some are.

------------------
Modifications? Lets see...... rear end drag from moose hunting, custom built canopy door, Pioneer deck with two, thats right two 6X9s, and bent bumper cowling from stupid wheeling move :) :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I caught wind of a group in the West Kootenays who got word of the impact that this will have on some of the FSR's around here. Apparently it does not look good, as there are many in this area, which have not been used for wood harvesting in years, but simply left open for recreational purposes as well as monitoring. Anyways, long story short, the group's focus is to
1. Lobby the Provincial Government to reconsider there decsions regarding FSR's
2. If action number 1 does not succeed, negotiate the usage of these roads and maintenance of the Recreation Sites through Responsible Social Clubs, Groups, etc.

It goes further than this. Fees to these sites would be shared by the Group(s) involved and the Forest's Ministry, and the only issue that is the big twister is how these roads can be somewhat maintained, as the Government will more than likely proceed with dropping this portion of their responsibility indefinitely.
As much as privitization is deemed to be a negative for this application, thinking more on this issue has gotten me to reconsider the interest that some of the private Silviculture/ecological may show to get involved in a very cooperative fashion.
I've been trying real hard to find this Working Group to get involved. I don't know if so far it is no more than talk, or what. Actually, if any of you know about it, please post any of your info on this here.
To be quite honest with you all, in some ways, this may be a great opportunity to show what an organized group such as the BC4WD Association could possbly play, in part. Any thoughts on this???

------------------
I've used up my sick days, so I'm calling in dead, and I'd like three funeral days along with my weekend off.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Information I have gathered over the last 6-8 months:
As of April 2002, the Annual $27 FS site pass is gone. Cost more to administer the pass system than in brought in.
Forestry is abandoning their "remote" or "small" sites. They are getting out of the "recreation" business. It is not their core competency.
Their "pay" sites are being transfered. To where I do not know, but I guess BC Parks. It will be announced at a later date. One of BC Parks' core competencies is recreation.
Old sites with "liabilities" will be removed. <this costs money, so I doubt many tables, fire rings or outhouses will actually go>
Forestry and BC Parks are looking for user groups to take on maintaining remote, "non profitable" sites. None of the "profitable" sites are being abandoned. But there will be no supplies provided by forestry once existing stores run out. Not sure what will be provided by BC Parks at this time.
The groups I belong to (HOT4x4, 4WDABC, etc) have made inquiries to the ministries to find out what is being abandoned and determine what is of interest to us.
We receive no fees from forestry. Not sure what would come from Parks (the BC Parks situation is new this month).
We are volunteers and thus are limited by our number as to what we can actually do. But that is our only limitation, size. Want to help, join up. www.4wdabc.ca
Most of our maintenance runs are actually fun trail rides. So there is alot of play involved in the "work"
To the point of BC Parks situation the 4WDABC has been doing alot of information gathering. The direction we take and will be made at the AGM on March 16/17.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wes,

Thanks for the info. I visited the web site, printed off the membership application form, and I'm sending it in with my $30.00.

After all, the $27 I was going to send in to the BC government might as well go to a good cause!

Ron

Originally posted by Wes Rempel:
Information I have gathered over the last 6-8 months:
As of April 2002, the Annual $27 FS site pass is gone.

Wes

·
Registered
18 Posts
BTW Wes, printed copy of 4wdabc appy
will send to you soon...

------------------
88 Pathfinder,stock susp.30" tires still working on it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Wes. (Sorry this is a little off topic) This just dawned on me. You didn't happen to be a bush foreman with Meadow Creek Cedar around 1994/95??? If so, I have met you while working for Patterson Logging up Grey Horse, Derek Boisvert's crew.
On topic - I'm interested in joining the BC4WD Ass. as well as doing whatever I can to help out with the FSR situation. So far I haven't been able to locate this local group I've heard of, perhaps they are one of the snowmobile groups. Either way, I'm in for the cause.

------------------
I've used up my sick days, so I'm calling in dead, and I'd like three funeral days along with my weekend off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.