BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 3.0L that is giving me some problems lately but I don't have a clue where to start. It runs kinda lurchy (especially when cold), like the fuel filter is toast, only I just changed the filter a couple of months ago. There is also a lag time b/w pushing the petal and accelerating when under load, like going up hill. Feels sorta like mild turbo lag. It is also somewhat inconsistant. One time it will run like silk, the next it will run like sh*t (even w/in the same day). The problem seems to be independent of any external factors as well as it not affected by temp, weather, fuel level, etc. I am also getting only about 14mpg. Only a little worse than what is is supposed to be I know, but not great none the less.Any ideas?

Is there another filter I should be looking at, like in the tank? Dirty throttle body? Something else?

·
1,269 Posts
My buddy had the same problems. His air filter was shot. His intake and all that were overdue for a good cleaning as well.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:
My buddy had the same problems. His air filter was shot. His intake and all that were overdue for a good cleaning as well.

I have replaced the air filter, fuel filter and O2 sensor since I bought the truck 4 months ago.

Do you mean the air intake or fuel intake needed cleaning?
Cap and rotor looks ok. Is there something in particular that I should be looking for.

[This message has been edited by Poor A$$ Stock '93 (edited February 12, 2002).]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Greg:
And if the original cap and rotor are okay, you'll have trail spares.

Check the fuel pressure; most of these symptoms can also be caused by a dying fuel pump...
Can I find a DENSO cap and rotor anywhere other than the dealer? Is the genuine Denso cap actually going to be much better than anything else?

How do I check the fuel pressure? Do I have to take it to a shop?

[This message has been edited by Poor A$$ Stock '93 (edited February 12, 2002).]

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by chris:
Have you checked your timing, mine went from a chump to a champ with a simple timing advance. Plus I get 20mpg on the highway and 17-18 on the trail/city.
(5speed, 4.56 and 31's)
Is that 20mpg w/ the v6? if so impressive. How much did you advance your timing? Is that on a completly stock motor?

No I have not checked the timeing although I suspect that it might be a little out too. I don't have the tools to do it myself at the moment and don't really have the time/money to take it to a shop for everything so I am startign w/ stuff I can fix myself.

[This message has been edited by Poor A$$ Stock '93 (edited February 13, 2002).]

·
Registered
156 Posts
A haynes manaul is only good for confuseing a person more than helping them. Try looking for air leaks or cracks in the flex tubing after the mass air flow sensor. My freinds truck was doing that too and we found a leak in the tubing that cause that.

------------------
Treading Heavily

1 - 12 of 12 Posts