BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried relocating their gas tank like in the link? Seems like a good way to fit a bigger tank, up higher, and away from the driveshaft. The only challenge would be the filler hose, it looks like in the installation in the pic, the hose droops. I think this would make it very slow to fill the tank up.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/gas_tank/

a conversion I am working on, 3vze to 2Lt, I want to use the fuel tank from the diesel truck, so there are no possibilities of diesel fuel reacting with the gas tanks galzanizing. The truck is a longbox, the project is a 4runner, so obviously the tank wont fit in the stock location, the only other solution in my mind is to mount it in the back. Its a bit larger capacity than the 4runner tank, and is coming from the donor truck. Even better, I could try and find a BJ fuel tank to mount in the rear, its larger in capacity.... anyone have dimensions of a BJ60 fuel tank? would it fit between the rails?
thanks
mike

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did that same exact swap when I did the 22re swap on my first gen.
I wanted to use the oem toyota 22re tank with the in tank pump but it wouldn't fit where the carbed tank is (its shorter). So I welded brackets to make it fit back there. no problem with filling slowly at all. it actually overfills because there is no restriction on my filler hose to shut off the pump when its supposed to (I used fuel service truck hose, greenline brand from lordco). The only problem I'm having is when I fill until it clicks off, there is no air pocket left at the evap purge port so I saturate my charcoal cannister and it drips fuel. I just put in $50 when close to empty ($65 overfills)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am looking at putting in a 2nd gas tank were the spare goes on my 4runner. Was looking at the possibility of using a E250 gas tank I hear they are about 22 Gallons. Would be great for the longer road trips.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i doing something like that but the tank is flush with the frame rails. im pretty sure its the stock 22re tank but im raising the floor level because the tank comes into the cab about 6 inches but i have tons of clearance now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.