BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that a company is making a kit to put toyota front hubs on the rear axles making them into a full floating axle and at the same time giving you disc brakes and if supra calipers are used you get disc brakes with an integrated ebrake setup.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Judging from your name(lackofcash) full floater isn't in the near future, they are a pretty expensive set up.

·
Registered
363 Posts
some 2wd 1 tons (yes,a 1ton yota), and duallies came with full floaters. of coarse they are five bolt wheels, but its possible that the front spindle on a 4wd is the same size and threfore you could use front hubs to convert them. pondered this myself, but never bothered to check it out.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Very uncommon though, I've never seen one in a wrecking yard. Imagine a 4cylinder Toyota motor home or Uhaul moving van. Can you imagine anything possibly more gutless?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
when I was up in merrit i say a toy dually. Really weird to see one

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wil said:
Very uncommon though, I've never seen one in a wrecking yard. Imagine a 4cylinder Toyota motor home or Uhaul moving van. Can you imagine anything possibly more gutless?
ya, only one ive seen is the 85ish 2wd flatdeck p/u duallie around our town.
why are you wanting a ff? have you been busting axles?

on the motorhome note; my buddy who is a mechanic, has seen a factory 4x4 solid axle motorhome, and a factory dual rear axle (as in two rear alxes) motorhome (i think one one was driven though) come through the shop.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey jeremy beleive it or not. But one time I drove a flat deck dually yota for work converted over with work boxes for work. And I saw one today in a wrecker yard on the westside. Let me know if you want to see. Oh by the way it was very gutless(the worktruck).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wil said:
i pass a toy motorhome every morning on the way to work:laugh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
full floater

No i havn't been bustin axles but i have a pretty good chance of it when i put 37 boggers on the cruiser, my 350 has enough power to snap those little axles like twigs its just a miracle i havn't snapped one with my 33 swampers and detroit yet. A friend told me about the ff conversion and it sounded pretty trick but at $750 american its a bit steep especially when you can pretty much make everything yourself... not the laser cut brackets or axles but the rest a good fabricator could put together.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i was readin somewhere that a toy rear axleshaft is the same dia. as a d60 and a 9". when i did the brakeson my dad's truck (d60), i was amazed to find they were that small. mind you they dont carry the weight of the wehicle but the toy's get larger for the last few inches by the flange. i agree that a ff would be the shiznit, but how often do you see/hear of toy breaking. p/u's are lighter but there are lots with a v8 conversion and big skins that dont have troubles. personally id think youd chew the pinion before you snapped a shaft.
now look at the ones on our old ford 700, theyre friggin huge, mind you you'd need 37's to keep the diff from draggin on the ground.:*******
one of the cruisers in kelowna has a d60 rear, with toy p/u front spindles and hubs on the ends. the shafts are splined both ends to retain the freewheel hubs. it appears he just cut off the stock spindle and welded a flange to the tube to match the flange mount of the toy spindle. he too has a v8 conversion though im not sure what it is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do a search on the land cruiser mailing list this has been hashed over many times. The full floater axels are smaller than the semi floaters that most cruisers have. Being full floater is great when you carry heavy loads but the actual axels are smaller - which is why you find full floaters in fj45's. I have a cruiser with an open semi floater which has been abused by a 383 chev turning 44's and it has held up for 15 years. Although I haven't gone for a locker for fear of breakage. Just my .002 cent's that I've glomed off others trial and error.
Norm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts