BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's hope you are all having a fun time wheelin your chev's

any ways I got's a couple of questions!!!!
1. My carb is getting old and starting to aggrivate me... (has no choke, and after it is about half way warmed up it won't stay Idling then it runs really great with lots of power...) but any ways I was wondering what kind of carb you guys think would go good on my old 350... and any exhaust to go with it could be usefull...
2. Electrical gremlins, My lights all work except for my front running lights. inside the turn signals are always on... the tail lights work and all my flashers work when they are supposed to... sometimes if I pull out one of the light bulbs then the others turn on???? I replaced all the bulbs and fuzes so I am just stumped... especially when the turn signals work

Any help would be great thanks

I think this message board is a great thing
and if any one want's to do some wheeling around abby on the weekends I am up for it... hee hee had to get pulled out by a tow truck last weekend then the tow truck got stuck and I had to pull him out...
but thanks again

·
Registered
50 Posts
check your grounds. my rear lights would cut out when i turned on my headlights. one of the grounds should be behind one of the tail lenses. make sure it is grounded properly to the frame.

------------------
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

·
Registered
79 Posts
A good Q-jet is about the best performing carb for off-road stuff. The center hung floats allow it to run at extreme angles without loading up or flooding out. The hard part is finding one with good throttle shaft bushings. Most Q-jets are worn in that area which makes tuning them a real PITA!

If you don't often get into crazy angles with your truck then I can recommend the Edlebrock 1406. Its a clone of the old Carter AFB and provides very crisp throttle response. 600 CFM with electric choke and it's a square bore design so it will need an adaptor if you plan on retaining the factory manifold. I currently have one on my Jimmy and it does real well for everything but crazy angles. Another plus is that it is extremely easy to tune and stays in tune once it's set.

For exhaust I'd go with a quality set of headers, 2 1/2" duals and flowmasters. 2 chamber or three chamber is up to you. I find this combo allows the motor to breathe well and it sounds real good too.

Your lectrical sounds ground related. I've found countless ground wires that were corroded on my truck over the years...have fun!

Rene

------------------
God hates a coward!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes i just got my q-jet rebuilt for my 81 chevy cause i was havin the exact same problems as you EXACT same. now thats it has a choke and a float that doesent flood the engine every time u stop it runs great. Also if you put on a quadrajet put in new plugs at the same time even if you might not need them cause with a poched carb your plugs are probably black from all the excess gas u burn. Goog Luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thank's guys for the help... I have also heard good things about Q-jet's... SO I think I will get one shortly.... And 2 1/2 headers with flowmasters's sounds great... I was thinking flowmasters good sound and unlike cherry bombs not quit so "heaty"
However I have heard that headers can have a bad reaction after lot's of 4X4ing through water... don't know if that is rumer or what...

I haven't found any bad grounds yet although. It is just the front running lights that don't work (head lights and tail lights work fine) and all turn signals work. However if I take out the front running light then that side light work's and the inside turn signal get's dimmer?????

Could this still be a ground or is this just wierd....
Oh and my back up lights don't work either but I think I just killed that somewere because when I disconect the switch (they used to stay on) they still don't work so I traced the wires to the fuse box and no juice... but a good fuse were do I trace from here? and the ground must be good because the other tail lights work!

SO thanks for the help!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cheapo headers would be bad for you if you plan on going thru water... Hot cheap steel getting constantly splashed with water; sounds like an IDEAL environment for corrosion to me.

If you get the cheapos for 1-200 bucks they might last a year or so, but if you buy good ones with a quality coating they should last much longer for ya!

------------------
1978 GMC 3/4T 350/465/205 dents scratches some mods and 265/75/16 BFG M/T

·
Registered
79 Posts
I can't see how the occasional water crossing is gonna be any worse than driving in the rain. Cast manifolds do much worse with a cold water crossings because the cast iron is so rigid it can't expand and contract real fast without cracking.

I have a 3 year old set of cheap headers and they're nowhere near corroded. Two coats of VHT flame proof paint and they're still a nice looking dull silver.

Just my 2 cents.

Rene

------------------
God hates a coward!

·
Registered
157 Posts
holly just came out with a truck avenger carb mad to run ah big angles. but thats all i know

------------------
85 toyota 7" lift 35s, Rolled grad camping 3 days after I painted it

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yeah, a Q-jet is good for offroad, but TBI off an 87 truck or 88-91 Blazer/Jimmy/Burb is even sweeter. Pretty cheap at the bone yard too.

My 2 cents.

------------------
Current shopping list:
YJ front springs (stock)
5.13 or 3.91 gears for Dana 44
4 & 6 cylinder diesel engines

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.