BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever converted a full time gmc 4x4 to a part time. Ifso, wondering what I'd need to do so. I'm tired of the hopping around corners in the city. Any info would be great. Thanx.

------------------
Loose nut behind the Wheel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, Hubs no problem but don't you have to change anything with the transfer case?? Which case is the best. I believe that mine is chain driven. When I walk on it the chain skips so I am in the market for another one, preferably part time. I know there are a few different ones, but don't know the numbers. Anyone know which case is the full time one behind a 4 speed from the factory in 74??

------------------

·
Registered
83 Posts
A friend of mine swapped all his full time stuff over to part time. He had to do a hell of a lot more than just add two hubs. I will call him and get the details for you.

------------------
Pi$$ on the ceiling... Any ******* can Pi$$ on the floor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok, I think I overexaggerated the swap thing. Sorry about that. Anyways, I just talked him about the swap. He ownes a 78 GMC 1/2 ton. Swapped out the full time gear for the part time. He said the easiest thing to do (as you are probably aware of this) is finding another half ton with the part time gear. He dropped his Turbo 350 for the 700R4 that came with the parts truck. He did this to avoid having to alter the driveshafts. The current transfer case is a NP 203 (full time). He swapped in the NP208??? (I think that's what he said) with the change over. The only other thing he mentioned was that the universal at the rear end did not match up with the new driveshaft he swapped in from his parts truck, and had to go to a different one. Part number was not handy for him.. But if you need it, I can get this for you.
So the simple swap would be to just add hubs, yes, but that only disconnects the axle whereas the rest of the drivetrain up front is still turning. That is why he went with the part time transfer case as well. If you would like to talk to this guy personally, he said no problem. Leave me an e-mail addy and I'll forward you his name and number.

------------------
Pi$$ on the ceiling... Any ******* can Pi$$ on the floor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think Mile Marker makes a kit that will change to np 203 to past time. I think you have to open up the T-case. my buddy had one and it worked well. If i remember rightly the kit alsogave him low range in 2 wheel Drive.
Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx. That makes sense about having low range in 2wd because right now I have two positions in high range and two positions in low range. I think that I will still look for a different case though because mine skips. Or maybe I'll replace the chain. Thanks for all the info. I will pick up some warn hubs and decide what to do. I hear that finding a case that fits my standard tranny is rough. Anyway, thanx again.

------------------

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have a NP205 (Cast Iron Case, Gear Driven)but it has the adapter for a SM465 Manual Transmission.

------------------
Shopping List...
NP203, 15"x7-8" 5x5.5" wheels!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many standard trannys were available in these things?? I have a standard tranny so I may be interested in the case you've got. How much and is it in good shape?

------------------
87 4 Runner SR5
74 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
87 Toy PU 4x4
87 S10 4x4 PU/Buggy project

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.