BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm currently looking into buying a full sized bronco (one with the removable hardtop - not sure the exact model names). From somewhere between '75 to '90.. the only problem is that I live in an apartment downtown - and these things come with small spots.

The end goal is to give it a decent raise (3-5"s) and some larger tires, but I'm not sure if it will fit into the lot with a raise - let alone if these things are too wide for my spot or not. I was hoping that a few of the Bronco drivers out there (with raise / tires or not) could let me know the year, height and width of their trucks - so that i can measure out if it will fit. If you have raised it or put on big tires please specify the dimensions.

Thanks a ton :)

oh, heh and if anyone has any tips on buying one of these trucks.. please let me know those too :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
A fullsize truck with 12.5" wide tires on it will measure around 85" wide. As for hight try and find a stock fs Bronco and measure it then add 3-5" for a lift and then the differance in the radius of the tires. A stock Bronco should measure around 75.5" tall, with the mods you want to do it will be around 6'10" or so. For some good info check out 2 Big Broncos

JP

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm

Well, the clearance on the lot is 6'8 (so maybe 6'9 if im lucky)

now, i cant imagine i will take this truck on anything too too extreme (rock hopping, etc) .. but i want something that can drive over squirrels, rocks and creekbeds without having much trouble :)

a few weeks ago i rented a 2001 explorer and took it up a few pretty rough roads.. even some stuff that i wouldnt quite consider being a road - and i want somethign a bit more capable than that. Basically I want to out do my friends 91 4runner (I think he has bigger-than-stock tires - but thats about it)

Do you think I'll get this effect of a full size bronco with only having a few inches to spare for lift / bigger tires? Or should I maybe look into a smaller truck to begin with so I can really play with it? I really like the removable hardtop, and im sure these things have some juice wiht a 5.8 litre or whatever it is they come with

(in case you cant tell, i dont know anything about offroading - just had a ball with that explorer and want something more permanent and tougher)

Thanks for any advice..

·
Registered
287 Posts
buy a bronco,
beat a buddy, simple
my truck is a 78 broncster with 35" goodyear m/t's
4" lift, lots a stuff added to it to enhance performance
check it out at http://www.picturetrail.com/1bronco-guy
it can go out-back and back and out-back and back,and out-back
ha ha,you get the point!
but anything can be made to do that, sometimes these trucks can demand a lot of atten$ion,if you know what i mean,but then i geuss all rigs know when it is payday:soso
ps my truck is around 6'9" tall
just run 5psi in the tires when you park it!:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
78-79 Bronco for sure. Cheap lifts, or just run 33's stock like I do (for a little longer). Maybe 6'4" stock, or less. And you're just glasspacks away from having it sound like a mud dragster.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will have too agree that the 78-79 Bronco is the way too go. Even when my Bronco was stock it went places that most people said it would'nt. I think mine is just under 7 feet tall now but stock with 33s was 6'4'' approx.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought mine after owning an '83 Toyota that was mildly built, and my Bronco does stock what my Toyota did built. Ford put a lot of good components on them-the tranny (SM435 or C-6), t-case (NP205), CV driveshafts front and rear, high-pinion Dana 44 front, and 9-inch rear. I even bought a mini-spool for the 9-inch for $80 from Mopac. Can't say enough good things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had three bronco's an 81 and two 79's. the fisrt 79 was stock and I went everywhere only stuck once and that is cause i burried past the doors in a mud pit. the one i have now has a 9" suspension lift and 3" body lift with "little" 35" bfg mudders. But these trucks are awesome have had no problems, cept for the usual wear and tear with a 4by. And they are sweet in the summer...top off...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bronco's RULE!!!! (I think)

Hey Fellow Bronco'er

I actually just bought an 85 Bronco about 2 weeks ago and am in the process of fixing the body up a bit. Mine has a lift (don't ask how high because I don't know) and some mean looking tires (also don't know)... and I'm always amazed when taking it apart just how well it's built. Like a TANK!! I can't wait to go 4X4'ing with it as I've never been before. You'll have to let me know how you make out and we can share some stories about newbies with Bronco's.

Take Care,
-Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts