BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i start my truck it revs all to hell until i pry the gas pedal back towards me?? Then whenever i apply the pedal it holds itself down on its own?? Also my pedal is very very stiff all of a sudden(since my last 4x4 trip)?? anybody ever ran into this?? may this be the result of a bad spring on my carb?? PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE TO DRIVE TO ALBERTA FOR WORK ON FRIDAY:violin
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
394 Posts
Could be the cable is kinked or coming apart.

This might not be the same problem, but that's what happened to me just a couple days ago.

I was pulling onto the highway, and a guy in 'vette thought he could get into town 1.3 seconds faster by not letting me into the lane. Instead of slowing down a little he floored it and drove down the centre of the two lanes causing me to floor it because I thought he was going to hit me. Anyway, end rant... :*******

After I had put the pedal to the floor for a bit, and was in traffic, I eased off the gas, but the truck was still winding out at 5 grand. I got to the stop light, and it was still revving out. I pulled over, but couldn't find anything wrong. After wiggling the throttle linkage back and forth, everything seemed to be fine. I started it up again and it idled fine until I stepped on the gas again. It got stuck again, so I carefully drove home.

Once I got there, I had a closer look, and noticed that my cable was coming apart. It was fine when I used my hand to move the linkage because the cable wasn't moving inside the plastic shief, but when I used the gas pedal, the cable would move inside the shief, and get caught up by the tangled wire.

My personal mechanic (inside joke) dropped by the next day and replaced the cable with a spare I had kicking around.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I'll second what Jo-Jo said. Check your throttle cable. When mine went on my '88 Blazer it was really stiff and it stuck now and then. To check it simply disconnect the cable from the carb. Move the cable by hand - it should slide freely. If it takes any effort to move it - replace the cable. My cable was kinked right at the firewall.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys i'll take it down to fountain today and have the mechanic show what i need to do, this way it gets doen right the first time and i learn something new:D

·
Registered
574 Posts
Do you have carpet? If so check to see if the plastic thing next to the gas pedal stiched to the carpet isnt causing it to stick to the floor, if your carpet has the plastic thing. Or it could even be the carpet. My tercel did this and i had to go as far as to tear the stuffing out from behind the carpet to fix it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no idea what the problem is now?? yesterday i drove it around a bit and the pedal was fine again and it was idling properly, but on hilss or under alot of load the motor was sputtering like it would when your fuel filter(S) get plugged or the fuel pump, but i just replaced them all including the pump less than a month ago???:confused2 I'm starting to wonder why i ever got rid of my TOYOTA:laugh

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the sticking of the throttle ,= get a new throttle cable from lordco (cheap)
And for the sputtering, get a can of holly carb clean from lordco and use the whole can , 2 people to use it , bring and hold the revs up to 2 grand get the other guy to spray it into the carb barrels untill it starts to bogg then let off the gas and stop spraying .When it starts to idle normal do the step over again and again this should fix the problem.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
???? i have no idea what the hell?? I drove around all day yesterday with minimal problem, then lifted the hood to was off the mud leftover from mondays outing and now everything's fine?? must of had mud packed into something that shouldn't have mud on it?? I also put a half a can of carb clean in this morning just for good measure. Thanks for all the help i'm off to work in alberta:beer cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts