BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a differance between Precision gears and Richmond or any other brands?Do some companies use cheaper steel or different heat treating and how do you tell?I dunno,ive heard some people say that this was good or that was good,but has there been any real tests?Im just looking for the science behind the hype.

·
Registered
118 Posts
dont go richmond or precision, I heard bad stoies about both, I would go with US gear, Yukon Gear or Quality Gear if I were you... yeah they are going to be $50 more a set but hey, you got what you pay for...

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
lord-wolf said:
dont go richmond or precision, I heard bad stoies about both, I would go with US gear, Yukon Gear or Quality Gear if I were you... yeah they are going to be $50 more a set but hey, you got what you pay for...

Funny you hear all kinds of stories on gears. I've had Richmond with absolutely no problem, I've heard on the net that people find them noisy and my experience was that this wasn't a problem. Likewise I've known people with Precision Gear with no problem at all.

·
Registered
504 Posts
ive got richmond 5.29's and no problem, set them up for a good pattern not to the factory setting. not sure about the other brands but richmonds are run in at the factory, probably by some :******* . no noises and lots of people use them for racing so go figure, also in the instructions it tells you how to set em up for racing so they must be good if they can run with .000" backlash

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
and I have had precision gears 5:29's with ARB's lockers for years ,
and they have seen much abuse , and I have never had a bit of trouble . I think most of the "bad press" comes from mechanic wanna be's , who think they know what there doing .

I would say , either have them professionaly installed , or make damb sure you know what your doing , and you,ll have no problems , whichever brand you choose .:soso

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just bought some Yukon gears from Randys ring and pinion. Took the gears out of the box and U.S gear was stamped on it. Made a few phone calls and the gear is bought by Yukon from U.S gear and re-packaged in there Yukon box.

·
Registered
504 Posts
hmm, f%*k local shops?? why? why not give the buisness to our local shops? these are the reasons that our economy sucks ass. think about it when you go looking for a job one day and the only stores are american and they charge out the ass then all the money goes to there american bank accounts. you can get good gears from local stores too. just my fu%$ing 2 cents

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
I'm still at a loss as to how US Gear is better than Precision or Richmond? I've had Richmond with absolutely no problems, 33" to 35" tires and lockers, daily driver and long road trips. 5yrs of use before I sold the truck. I have no brand allegiance as far as ring and pinions go but other than somebody saying one is better than another how could I have done better with US Gear when I didn't have any issues with Richmond?:confused:

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
me 2 , I had 36" swampers on ARB locked , with 5:29's Precision gears ...... 8 years , ands still no probs , I still own them , and they will be going into my project .

I recommend the precision , just because of my experiance .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts