BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is $2500 to install new gears (4.56's) a good deal or a bad deal. Thats what sport trucks quoted me over the phone and i think that was before taxes. I have a lifted 88 bronco with 35's and stock gears, i think 3.55's. Also if its a high price what is a good price and shop to go to.

Thanks,

Jamie

·
Registered
118 Posts
buy the gears and install kits (~ $800 total) and install them yourself, its not hard one you get in there and look around... I juswt finished putting 5.29's in my toy, they've been in for 2 months now and are one of the better things I've done to the truck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i guess Sport Trucks is way over priced. So are there any shops in the lower mainland that somebody might recommend to get the gears and have them installed at a fair price?

·
Registered
11 Posts
good gear shop

call Rearend Specialties in Port Kells and ask for tyler.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Shops want to charge about 5-8 hours labor on gear swaps it seems, that can add up to $400 or more per diff. My gears alone cost around $1200 with taxes and install kits etc. I installed them myself but same as you, Sport Trucks wanted around $500 per diff to swap, which makes $2500 in the ballpark. Look around, the parts are pretty evenly priced from most places but you may find a deal on labor somewhere, maybe even someone on this site would be willing to help you out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys thanks for the quick replys. I'll probably call Rearend Specialties in a couple months when i can afford to get them done.

Thanks again,

Jamie

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Bert's Automotive is a very competent rear end shop, in fact they carry a lot of used stuff that you could by for a deal, they work with driveline all the time, where as, some four bi shops want to rake you over the burning coals...try a dedicated driveline shop!

The gears for my 9" are $220-240 for 4.10's I can't see your gears being more than that.

do you not think that 4.56 is a little on the lower side, you might start twisting axle shafts out of that c-clip axle!:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went to a-combined in abbotsford for my rear end in my 4runner. I brought just the pumkin in and they charged me about $700.00 for new 5.29's. (Before Tax).

·
Registered
182 Posts
it may not be that far out of line as for the front you need a new carrier because of the cross over ratio as well you need a special center pin as well. In order to the front end you need take apart the hole axle except for knuckles. Is the quote including new seals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts