BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just stock gears and I'm thinking about gearing lower. I will be running 33x12.5 and in a 4cyl. I want more power for off-road use but I don't want to break an axel. What will work and what will break?

------------------
'92 YJ w/ 3" body, 32" txr, flowmaster muffler, funnel ram intake, 2 Pro Comp 100 watt lights.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am running 35"s and also have a 4 cyl and regeared to 4.56, but I wish I had gone to 4.88's. So... 4.56 would probable be good for you.

------------------
Leanne
'95 YJ : 6" combined lift, shackle reversal, SYE, 35" SSR's, 4.56 gears, TruTrac(rear), SunRider Top, Front & Rear Rock Crusher bumpers/spare tire carrier, Quick Disconnects, Cobra 75WXST, OBA

·
Registered
373 Posts
How do you find the 4.56 on the highway? I've got a 91YJ 4cyl. with 33X12.50s and am going to stick a Ford 8.8 Rear end in this fall. I want to do lockers as well but want to make sure I like the gearing first.

·
Registered
844 Posts
RabidRabit said:
How do you find the 4.56 on the highway? I've got a 91YJ 4cyl. with 33X12.50s and am going to stick a Ford 8.8 Rear end in this fall. I want to do lockers as well but want to make sure I like the gearing first.
I have 4.56 gears in mine. I found my rpm a bit high on the freeway with 33's ( I've got a 6 cyl. ) but when I switched to 35" tires it was just right. As far as breakage is concerned you should be OK with 33x12.50s if you don't wheel it too hard. I had one catastrophic failure in about 7 years running D30/D35 with 4.56 gears and front and rear lockers. The rear ARB obliterated itself ( it was about 2 years old at the time I think ) and broke my gearset. I switched to a detroit locker and haven't had any problems since.

Chris.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wouldn't worry about breakage too much. With the 4cyl engine the axles can stand up to a bigger tire. I might be wrong so don't quote me but I think that Pat Stewart on this board runs a D30/D35 combo with a 4cyl and has been known to run 35" boggers.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
#2 said:
I wouldn't worry about breakage too much. With the 4cyl engine the axles can stand up to a bigger tire. I might be wrong so don't quote me but I think that Pat Stewart on this board runs a D30/D35 combo with a 4cyl and has been known to run 35" boggers.
I've seen 4-cyl YJs break a D35. While it may take longer, it DOES happen. With a D35, you should always carry spare shafts, gear oil, something to contain the old oil, rtv, etc.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lars my man you are a wealth of information. I'm going to put your name in for a jepordy contestant. LOL

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've seen a D35 break right in front of me....on the street!:laugh

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thats my worst fear LOL, I'll be 40 or 50 km's in the backcountry and I'll hear a snap. LOL It's only a matter of time so I'll throw that ford 8.8 in next month.
Now how can I make my wife think I've had it in the backyard for months already, cause I'm sure she'll ask about it when she see's it LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts