BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I find out what the gear ratio is on my 88YJ 4.2L 5spd? (I think my rearend is going to go)

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"must....get rid of....stock...seats"
www.members.shaw.ca/ichris4x4/index

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
N8 gave me a great tip a while back. Look on the pumkin on the rear axle and hooked on one of the bolts is a medal tag. Clean it off and the first 3 numbers are your gear type.

------------------
92 yj 2 inch body lift,lift shackles, 2.5 rancho lift springs running on 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool trick but someone has upsconded with the little plate thingy. Are there any other methods to find out?

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"must....get rid of....stock...seats"
www.members.shaw.ca/ichris4x4/index

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by ichris4x4:
Cool trick but someone has upsconded with the little plate thingy. Are there any other methods to find out?
Jack up one of your rear wheels, put Jeep in neutral and rotate the tire over one complete revolution and note how many revolutions your driveshaft made.

Multiply the number of revolutions your driveshaft made by two and you'll have your ratio.

I'm assuming you have an open diff.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Assuming you have the stock axles they will more than liklely be 3.07 gears....I have an 87 with the 4.2 and that's what I have in mine stock.

·
Registered
114 Posts
on your rear diff there is a letter stamped on it and call a jeep place and they will be happy to tell you your ratio.the letter is on the sides.

------------------
1985 CJ7 7inch lift,6 point cage,engine done up,32inch mud tires,cb,alarm also a member of bone shakers 4x4 club.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.