BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got an 81 yota with an 85 22re dropped in. It im looking to go to 35's whats the best way to maintain power and speed? should i go with a dual t case does this even help? or should i go to gears, id like to use 4.88s just because there stronger than 5.29s but i don't know if they'll cut it. any advise would be appriciated.

------------------
"power is the ultimate aphrodisiac"

·
Registered
71 Posts
5.29s are probably the best swap for 35s, 488s are as close as you get to perfect (use the term loosely)correction for 33s. I highly doubt that 529s really break that much easier, don't know anyone who had to go back to 488s from 529s because they broke too many r+ps. I think it's more of a fallicy unless your going into the 6 and 7/1 ratios where there really is a lot a metal taken out of the pinion. When R+Ps fail is because they're tired or as a result of poor installation or high hp (definitely not something you're gonna get in a 22re). The dual cases are more for lower gears when off-roading so they really won't help you on the highway. I don't think I'd be worried with 529s and 35s.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

[This message has been edited by Lil' blue Yoyo (edited February 26, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
If your ring and pinion is set up perfect (or as close to perfect as it gets) you'll have to be doing some pretty stupid stuff with some good power to blow it up. It's not impossible, but common sense and a 4 banger (or a six even) are a reliable bet. I'd go with the 5.29s. In fact, I did!

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
5 29
hmm ok they break ,but all depends on what type of wheeling you do?if you haul heavy stuff or for just play,i haul camper and farm macheneray and crap and 5 29 didnt cut it went to 488 and no problems, tire size if tires to big can creat problems ,might have to up grade to better axel ,stronger,, NEVER EVER WELD YOUR REAR AXEL TO CREATE A LYNCON LOCKER

but it basicly depends on what type of 4x4ing you do.if you like to crawl rocks and haul heavy stuff,go 488 if just for mud and like a majority of the people who 4x4 play in mud and have trailer queens never seen what a rock looks like go 529 but they are weaker. from experiance and was set up proper. so all up to you and how you wheel and why you want.but too big of a tirer isnt good for the stock toy axels creates problems ,look it up on the web and do research if you want to run big monterous tires change axels, and bla bla bla bla ,

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

·
Registered
412 Posts
All those "street queens" on pirate 4x4 running 5.29's and 35 inch tires on stock axles with longfields not to mention all the guys on 38's. Go with Petes advice, but quality gears and have them set up at a shop that knows what they are doing. Don't wate your money on 4.88's for 35's. I run 5.29's with my 33's and condsider it perfect. I agree with the not welding, that is just a matter of time until failure, unless you have a double case and a stock ratio and carry spare thirds.

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

[This message has been edited by MEK (edited March 03, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The reason the 5.29's are not as strong is because of the loss of pinion tooth contact.
The 5.29 set has even less teeth pushing on the ring gear so the chance of failure is greater.
However I disagree on the lincoln locker.
I've seen many welded cruiser diffs lead very long lives, under heavy abuse.
I don't own a welded diff, but I would weld mine if I couldn't afford the locker.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
1,269 Posts
I've seen properly (if there is a proper way) welded gears last years. That is not however, just melting everything inside the diff together. Do a search for "Fozzy Locker" if you're interested in welding your diffs.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replies guys im gonna go with the 5.29's and have a shop put them in for me. with 35's do any of you with stock axles have any trouble? to sole it can i just put in a torrsion bar or shold i go for swap? i do a little of all types of 4x4ing and drive her fairly hard.

------------------
"power is the ultimate aphrodisiac"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts