BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of 33x12.5 tires. I want to know what gears I need to put in my sammy. I have the stock 1.3 litre engine. Does anyone have 33's being powered by this engine? does it suck? Is it worth it to run 33's or can/should I run 31's. Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by T-mack:
I just got a set of 33x12.5 tires. I want to know what gears I need to put in my sammy. I have the stock 1.3 litre engine. Does anyone have 33's being powered by this engine? does it suck? Is it worth it to run 33's or can/should I run 31's. Thanks.
According to my quick calculation, to keep the factory in/out ratio with 33" tires you need 4.20 gears in the differentials. The closest on available is 4.625 (Sidekick Automatic). Not too many of those around, but with a bit of luck u may find one (or actually two).
Unless u go with Toyota axles..... :) They come stock with 4.10 or 4.38.
Another thing u can do is to install Rocklobster (or BabyLobster) T/case, that gives you an extra 12% lower ratio in 2Hi.

Hope it helps

------------------
-marker

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you do want 4.62's call ELCAM Motors, in Burnaby, (On Trapp Rd.) I think they have a set.
HTH

------------------
Farewell and Adieu, to you fair Spanish ladies...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by caltow:
get 5.13 or you are wasting money.....I ran 5.13 with my 32" tires and it was good only because I had a twin cam swift motor.... I would never run 33" with stock motor...
my brother had 33x12.50 super swampers and the 4.62's and the 1.6 and it had enough power.

I had 33x10.50's with stock motor and the 4.62's, and it was ok. Probably would have been smarter to get the 4 to 1 gears, but i got the tracker gears for free. I have a v6 in mine now, and it turns the 33's really good, going to have to take the tracker gears out though, the v6 don't like to rev that high.

my other brother is actually running 33x9.50's with stock gearing and a 1.6. it goes along ok, and he can use a 5 gears on the highway, but he stalls it alot off-road.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by caltow:
get 5.13 or you are wasting money.....I ran 5.13 with my 32" tires and it was good only because I had a twin cam swift motor.... I would never run 33" with stock motor...
Caltow, if you only read carefully....33" tires + 4.62 gears will actually LOWER your gear ratio from OEM setup...that means @ e.g. 4000RPM in top gear you'll cruise 90km/h instead 100km/h. So unless you're planning an hi-revving engine swap at the same time as you switch to 5.12, I wouldn't recommend it.

In your situation (I assume) you compensate low gearing ratio by revving the snot out of your twincam - which they're happy with anyway, not much problem there.

With the stock engine, 1:5.12 R&P will improve your acceleration but it will take your top speed away by the same coefficient.

HIH

------------------
-marker

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just another thought. I am no expert but from all that I have talked to, with running 33's your going to start breaking stuff, so unless you have a traction bar or stronger set of axles you might want think twice.

I could be wrong but this is just what I have heard.

32's are about the max on stock equipment and 31's are safe.

-Flyboy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts