BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have a 95 YJ and im putting a ford 8.8 rear axle into it besides the bracket modifications and having to change the font axle out as well

heres what im doing

taking the front axle out of my 91 YJ 4 cyl that has 410 gearing already
getting a rear end out of a explorer so it has 410's and disc brakes already.... now i wont have to mess with the gearing and taking diffs apart and I wont have to do the brake conversion....

my question now is if I'm changing the gearing in the axles do I have to change my t-case ?? whats up with the ratio on the t-case does that matter and how

·
Registered
219 Posts
No your transfer case gearing should be fine! You have a NP231 transfer case which has 1:1 (4 high) and 2.72:1 (4 low). Switching from your original gearing to 410s will help your crawling. For a lower gearing people have modified the NP231 with a 4:1 gear set ($), swapped in a Rubicon transfer case ($$) or an atlas transfer case($$$)

Rob

·
Registered
755 Posts
no it doesnt matter what t-case gears you have. the gearing in the axles have to be the same as each other. you will have to get a new yoke on your rear driveshaft so the 8.8 yoke will match to it. are you also lifting it at the same time? if you are, it would be best to do a sye on the t-case then get a new rear shaft made. you could also use a tj or xj front shaft for the rear, as they are a cv style and alot cheaper to buy, then just have it shortened , the new yoke put on and balanced.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks yea my next question was where and or how do i or is the best way to go about the driveshaft thing uhhh as for the lift thing i have a 2 inch body lift and a 4 inch suspension lift and my driveline angle is fine I thought about the sye but i got told by licensed mechanics that the angle is good so theres no need one of my friends offered me one of these atlas t-cases 100$ or something cause he just dont want it lying around in his house anymore so maybea i should switch but yea.. jeep looks dope now frames white jeeps white brake lines are green interiors dark blue all brand new redone. did it all since october basically new everything its a 2010 yj haha cant wait to drop in the new engine but yea im rambling the problem aty hand is the driveshaft im gonna check out the xj tj thingy as well

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
thanks yea my next question was where and or how do i or is the best way to go about the driveshaft thing uhhh as for the lift thing i have a 2 inch body lift and a 4 inch suspension lift and my driveline angle is fine I thought about the sye but i got told by licensed mechanics that the angle is good so theres no need one of my friends offered me one of these atlas t-cases 100$ or something cause he just dont want it lying around in his house anymore so maybea i should switch but yea.. jeep looks dope now frames white jeeps white brake lines are green interiors dark blue all brand new redone. did it all since october basically new everything its a 2010 yj haha cant wait to drop in the new engine but yea im rambling the problem aty hand is the driveshaft im gonna check out the xj tj thingy as well
An Atlas for $100??????? Not many people have these just lying around looking to get rid of them. Even if it broken you can buy replacement stuf from Advance Adapters, but they don't break very easy.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have been running an 8.8 in my YJ for several years now.
You don't have to change the break master at all. Mine works great with the stock parts. Way better than the dana 35 drums.
If you get a drive flange from an f-150 ford it will bolt on to your stock drive shaft.
You can use the stock e-brake cable up to the adjuster, then use the explorer lines. You can connect them with a cable connector. 2 years and no issues, run hard.
Your drive shaft will likely fit fine because the drive flange is a little shorter making up the difference. Install it and check the clearance on the slip yoke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.