BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 pathfinder klondike and hate the damn decals on it.

I have two questions...

What works well on removing the decals and the glue?

What should I use on the inside dasha nd stuff? I heard that armourall dries out the vinyl and I heard that Murphy's oil is better. Opinions..

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The decals on the paint are best removed with the heat gun. Just be carefull not to overheat the paint. Work small section at the time and they will peal right off. Whach ya fingers...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use a decal removal wheel. Basically it is a big eraser wheel that you attact to your drill (don't use an air drill or anything that spins at high rpm's as the wheel will explode into chunks." It works great. I did two of my own personal vehicals with factory pin stiping with the same wheel. They cost about 10 -15 bucks a Lordco, I'm sure most auto body supply compaines carry them. There is no chance of screwing up your paint this way.

3M also make a spray on remover, it works good for places you can't get the wheel into. It is fairly expensive so use it sparingly.

We use mainly these two products at the sign shop that I help out at. Free labour = Free decals.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
418 Posts
decals be gone!

GM makes a product that you wipe on the decals and its supposed to de-activate the glue,never used it myself.just a hairdryer and some duct tape to pull off stubborn residue

·
Registered
190 Posts
I've used the heat trick before and it worked well but be careful of your paint! Seeing as how it's a newer truck you might want to try one of the chemical methods mentioned or the big wheel type eraser that Tuner Inside used.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well, I used to be a detailer, and used to do this all the time.

The eraser wheel works great, costs $15, but CAN harm the paint... too high RPM's, heat builds up...

Heat gun, same store... great at loosening the glue, but again with the heat thing.

The adhesive label remover ("stuff that GM uses") works well as well, but is a mild solvent.... don't leave it on too long, wash it off right away.

I removed the pink and grey graphics on my Kick with a hairdryer and a plastic razor blade. Exact size and shape of a real blade, but made of flexible red or yellow plastic.... a little heat, and they'll scrape right off with no damage to the paint.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey Casper, you had those damn decals on your rig too. I spent a few hours chasing that pin stripping off my kick too. Pink what were they thinking.

I never had a problem with heat build up with the wheel, just takes some patcience and beer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts