BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Never even heard of using golf balls to balance a tire until now, but i would probably try it if i ever go bigger than 35" tires.

Jamie

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have heard of it but i don;t know if it works to well?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hahahaha I've seen this done.
but what happen's when the ball's fall(going to slow)off the top and hit the rim tink:laugh.Or can that be heard.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What ingenious :******* came up with that idea. Hey if it works :beer

·
Registered
38 Posts
sounds right effing cracked if you ask me.
One of the mechs at my uncles shop had a full size bronco rolling on 38" Boggers. He had 'em balanced with around 16 ounces a corner... and no one had to recalibrate the machine either.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Golf balls?? what the [email protected]%???? what a dumbass idea, if it works and the noise doesn't bother all the power to you?? Personally if you complain about a vibration at any speed or size of mud tire you need help. I put 38's on my blazer and the first time i balanced them perfect and it didn't help they are bias tires they just shake, it's part of the fun of big tires, loud howl and mad vibration. Now my own tires get balanced and if they are within an ounce or so that's just fine i could care less, but that's just me, i balance tires all the time for customers and even when they're perfect balances they still complain?? But hey some people are very very picky and they can be they paid for it then they deserve what they pay for

·
Registered
287 Posts
ok i'll bite

i have the amazing fliing lure in my tackle box too!

i have a new set of 35"s on my rig

i tried to balance them

i tried to balance a set on the wifes burb 33"'s

with no avail!

but this makes sense!

but what size of wood should i use to drive them 300 yards!:laugh

i will try it,this week

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have heard of guys using anti-freeze to balance their tires. they use half a liter per tire. the skinnier the tire the better it works. i haven`t tried this personally.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
A-Combined balances large tires with a powder. Quiter than golf balls or bb's I imagine, and the stuff is actually meant for balancing tires, it comes in packages that are marked for weight. I imagine you find out how much the tire is out and then drop in the same weight in this powder.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey guys the golf balls and the powder both come from the big trucks Peterbilt Kenworth etc,my uncle actually told me about the golf balls.He drives truck. The powder alot of tire shops carry it but if you have trouble finding it check Port Kells at shops that do the big truck tires.:beer

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
??POWDER?? for a wheeler?? what happens when you pop a bead and get water in the tire?? now you got 1 BIG lump inside your tire. and I believe anti-freeze is no good for rubber, besides that, wheelin with low pressure the anti-freeze would work its way between the tire and rim. Doubt it would leak, but now theres a lubricant between your tire and rim :laugh :laugh
I think I would wrap the rim with duct tape(inside), then use BB's before the anti-freeze.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What I was going to try was finding a some what ridgid length of tubing with 1/2 or 5/8 I.D. and a smaller peice that will just slide over the outside to use as a collar to join them. Adding weight to the tube, wrapping it around the inside of the wheel and joining it with the collar. This could then be tapped down and you would have a faily close knock off of the commercially sold dynamic balancers, just without the oil suspension and big price. Plus no loose weight rolling around inside your tire.

The whole idea behind a dynamic balancer is dead simple, it's just a matter of finding the right thing that works.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
The golf ball trick is a very bad isea. I have read a few articles on it. They do work to balance the tire, but when you aren't goint at high speeds they bounce around inside your tires and wear them out from the inside out causing premature failiure

·
Registered
6 Posts
i think using golf balls inside the tire is stupid. if you put golf balls in your tires and think it makes a bit of a difference it's all in your [email protected]%ing head. just try putting a golf ball in a tire and putting it on a balancer and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
There is a company that makes a balancing ring called centramix or something like that. It bolts in between the wheel and the WMS and has a tubulart ring filled with ball bearings. The ball bearings balance out the vibs and you never have to worry about rebalancing if you tires spins on a rim, or knocking weights off, etc. I am unsure how much they are but they use this on LD and HD trucks!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts