BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has been watching all the 4x4ing crap ive been doing lately and now he wants to buy a sammy.I dont know much about suzukis but hes looked at a 84 4 speed sammy,it runs and has a little bit of rust in the rear fenders,it 1600$$. Is this a good deal??? which year is the best year,for a trail only truck????

------------------
90 Extra cab 4" sus. 3" body. 33" BFGs .Soon to be solid axle swaped with arbs and 36" super swampers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
well dude, i have to say that 1988 has to be the best year, in my opinion, my friends have older ones and they are also good for the four wheeling. Also, thr newer ones aren't that great since mosr have the electronic fuel and stuff, happy four wheeling!
Go for it!

------------------
Fahim Khan
Mad Zuki

·
Registered
394 Posts
Trail only truck? If you are going to build it extensively....the year won't matter too much.

The '84 has a 12% lower geared t-case than later models. In fact, when people want to build their own 4:1 t-cases, they look for the '84 case to mix gears with later year cases.

The springs are set under the frame rails as opposed to outboard like my '87.

I think the engine might be a 1000 rather than a 1300, but don't quote me on that. The 1300 is weak anyway too. Lots of options for engine swaps, from VW turbo diesels, Suzuki Swift or Tracker 1600s, and even GM 4.3L (or a V8 if you're nuts).

Axles on all Samurais are small. They can be fine depending on how you wheel, and how you build the rig. Keeping it light weight helps.

$1600 a deal? I can't say without seeing it. Samurais are becoming a little like Jeeps; demand has help keep prices up a bit higher than they really should be IMHO, and anything cheap is usually gobled-up by some guy who already has a Samurai or two or three. ;D

HTH

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com

·
Registered
97 Posts
I say it sounds pretty good,I have a 82 SJ410
and it is a good trail truck because it has power nothing and if you break something I have a crap load of SJ and sammi parts.

[This message has been edited by zukbondo (edited April 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Dan,

It depends on how much of a PROJECT he wants to get into. If he wants to just do a few modifications like a lift and bigger tires then I'd say go for an '85 or newer. These have bigger axles and bigger engines (not by much though) and is a bit stronger of a vehicle out of the box.

If he wants to do a major project like toy axles/bigger engine/etc. then I'd say that the '84 would be just fine.

Hope that helps,
Robin.

[This message has been edited by schmiot (edited April 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think he will be making it quite big.I know if I were buying it I wuuld just go nuts and replace every thing. toy axles, 35's and a v6 or something like that.

------------------
90 Extra cab 4" sus. 3" body. 33" BFGs .Soon to be solid axle swaped with arbs and 36" super swampers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got a truck fer ya.. 86 sammy, all stock, low k's.. its got a stock bushbar.. soft top.. rear seat.. min rust, nothin exposed yet.
2000 obo..
you can probably get it lower if your serious about buyin it..

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is that a 4 or 5 speed?

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts