BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know. What am I doing asking about a jeep when I drive a Dodge;) My friend is loking at buying one and he wants my help to look at it. I don't know too much about them. He knows nothing about vehicles and can't drive standard yet. It's a 91 Yj with a 6 cyle and 5spd tranny, and hard top and soft top. the guy is asking $2500. It has a cracked windshield, minor rust from what I have heard. Suposedly it has not been off-roaded and is mechanically good.

1) is this a decent price?

2) what are typical thing that are/go wrong with jeeps of this year

3) what should I look for when I go check it out with him

4) any other tips I should know about them.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Jarett said:
I know. What am I doing asking about a jeep when I drive a Dodge;) My friend is loking at buying one and he wants my help to look at it. I don't know too much about them. He knows nothing about vehicles and can't drive standard yet. It's a 91 Yj with a 6 cyle and 5spd tranny, and hard top and soft top. the guy is asking $2500. It has a cracked windshield, minor rust from what I have heard. Suposedly it has not been off-roaded and is mechanically good.

1) is this a decent price?
That is an insanely good price. Look it over VERY CLOSELY. Make sure it has the 4.0L EFI 6-cyl and NOT a carburetor.

2) what are typical thing that are/go wrong with jeeps of this year
Clutch slave cylinder.

3) what should I look for when I go check it out with him
Look for any drips near the bellhousing (slave cylinder is inside the housing). I'd check for any frame rust, too, particularly above the rear shock mounts. Rear axles are weak and will probably be leaking but at that price, it would still be a good deal if the motor is good.
Look for oil stains on the tub from the tcase output flinging oil from a leaking seal. Not a big deal to fix but may be a bargaining point.

4) any other tips I should know about them.
YJs rarely have rust problems. If this one does, I'd look for other signs of abuse (ie: scratches/dents on any of the under carriage parts, etc). You should get a compression test, too. $2500 is ridiculously cheap for a '91 with the 4.0L.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
382 Posts
I PAID 7500 FOR MY 92 AND THAT WAS A GOOD DEAL.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Re: Re: got some questions about a jeep

lars said:

$2500 is ridiculously cheap for a '91 with the 4.0L.
I agree, you'll pay more than that for a 4cyl of the same year in good condition. In my opinion, there's something very wrong with it to go for that price.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is kinda what I am thinking. when he told me the price the first thing I said is what's wrong with it.

Thanks for tall the info. The more the better.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts