BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be wandering through the Grand Forks area July 30th and 31st (Tues/Wed). Plans are to head up to the old Phoenix minesite on one of those two days depending on when I get to my Uncles place in Grand Forks. Anyone interested?

·
Registered
920 Posts
i'm in! which way are you coming down? wont be through osoyoos first will you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Parnelli, I will be coming thru the Grand Forks side. I am heading to Alberta for the weekend and then thru the Crowsnest pass and into the Kootenays. I want to check out Nelson and the "Valley of the Ghosts" on Monday so its looking more and more like I will hit the Phoenix minesite Wednesday morning. Then its on to Hedley, Princeton, and the Coalmont-Tulameen road!

If you dont want to make the trip to Grand Forks Wednesday morning (I wouldnt, so dont feel bad) I can meet you in Osoyoos for a BS session somewhere if you like.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you're interested you should go through the Santa Rosa road over to Rossland afterwards. Nice trip. I'm sure someone down there can help you. I would if i were there, I'm always up for a wheel over there if I'm in the area.

·
Registered
920 Posts
hey do the santa rosa for sure! last time i tried that it was winter with 3 feet of snow on the ground... thank god for those heavy snowmobile tracks, packed it pretty good for the truck!;) anyways wednesday!! if i dont head to kelowna i will meet up with you at christina lake if you want? I would make it up santa rosa but those big logging rigs on that road scare me!! make sure you watch it on that road. But how long are you going to be in grand forks for? overnight or just for a day?

·
Registered
920 Posts
i might be able to make it to rossland if you want to meet up for the santa rosa rd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I am not too familiar with your area down there so I am not sure where Santa Rosa road is at all. Im sure we could meet in Christina lake if you like. I will be spending the night in Grand Forks (probably Monday) and then head up to Phoenix on Tuesday morning.

Thing is, I am not too familiar with the area at all so I dont know how long it will take me to get from Nelson to Grand Forks if I take the Valley of the Ghosts loop. Perhaps we should take this conversation to private e-mail so we arent taking up too much bandwidth. My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I like exploring ghost-towns, abandoned mines, cemetaries etc too. If you are going Coalmont Tulameen, don't miss a spin up Blakeburn Mtn, lots of relics (& BEARS) up there plus a cemetary if you poke around. A nice camp spot there is - when you're entering Coalmont turn Left down the old Kettle Valley Rail bed & keep going to the first trestle, it's blocked with a big rock but hang left down beside it & there' a nice sandy beach to camp on by the Tulameen River with a "poopshack". The road to Blakeburn Mtn also has some good wheeling up there into the lakes. The FSR is located at Granite City (another GTown) campsite on the other side of the river...you need to go into Coalmont follow Granite Creek/City sign. It's another nice campspot on the river but a meadow & very windy (the notorious Winds of Tulameen). The Granite City cemetary is right up there too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I will add that I don't think it's really called Blackburn Mtn FSR(Blackburn Creek FSR)- (Lodestone) & the lake is Lodestone. I figure it also connects to Whipsaw, as a buddy was driving up there broke truck & walked out to Hope Princeton Hwy to hitch via Whipsaw FSR. There's some old mine equip up at Blackburn Crk Rec Site which is also off that road up from Granite City.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
lgbd said:
A nice camp spot there is - when you're entering Coalmont turn Left down the old Kettle Valley Rail bed & keep going to the first trestle, it's blocked with a big rock but hang left down beside it & there' a nice sandy beach to camp on by the Tulameen River with a "poopshack".
I second that recommendation. That's a really nice beach with a fair number of flat camping sites nestled in the trees. You might try your hand at gold panning there, too.

From there, you can go for a walk to Coalmont and have a beer in the hotel.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts