BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 2 days and nights I have been trying everything to get the broken off cv joint out of the passernger side shaft that comes out of the dif. First I tried plyers and tried to get a bite on some jagged metal and, pull it straight out. The damn shaft laughed in my face. Then I decided to get serious, and I pulled the shaft out of the truck and took the drill press to it. Of course since the cv axles are some sort of super hard metal I had to stop every 2 seconds and sharpen drillbits. After a hour or so I had a hole big enough to put a easy out in. I think that nameing something that has nothing at all in common with any sense of ease must be the work of the devil. evetually I get the easy out stuck in the hole and give up for the night.
The next morning I decide to tackle the problem again I spent the greater part of the day working a slide hammer and tring to get bolts threaded in the hole I had drilled. Finally after hours spent swearing and tring everything in my power to get the thing out I said forget it.
Thats when I made the decision to go to the junkyard the next day and just pick up the part. Well that is untill I notice the little hole in the side of the shaft.
Suddenly my brain started turning. If I filled the space between the sheered off CV axle and the extending shaft full of powder it should do one of two things
1.Make a really big boom and throw razor sharp shratnal everywhere kill me and any innocent bystanders within a 10 block radius.

2. blow that damn cv axle out of there.

So with plans for distruction I headed off to my buddies house knowing that he would have gun powder. After telling him my plan he just smiled and said Smokless or black. I said that we should probably use the black because it will light with a fuse and doesn't create as much pressure. With that we soon found ourselves emptying the contents of a can of black powder into my Cv shaft. Strangly enough my friend also had a 25 foot string of cannon fuse. and we attatched a 1 foot lenght to the shaft. He said that a foot is suposed to burn in one minute so we figured that that would be enough time to find some cover.

We lit the fuse and ran....... the resulting explosion was amazing, even from 50 feet away it shook the ground and we could feel the shockwave in our chests. After the explosion we ran to see what happened and where suprised to see that there wasn't anything there at all. We couldn't even find a small scrap of metal.
I think it was about ten minutes later we finnaly found the shaft 25 feet away from the blast site. And guess what there was no CV axle, and the explosion didn't damage it one tinny bit. We never did find the broken off cv shaft, so If some of you in tacoma or seatle find it please ship it back to bellingham so I can check it out.

Heres a pick of my flat bed I don't have delphi advanced so heres a link. http://groups.msn.com/Eatfleshcauseitsgood/mikestaco.msnw
what do you guys think not to bad for a guy that skipped welding shop class.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can only dream of having a truck as new as yours to go 4x4ing in.
Now that the box can't get hurt, please, please spend the time making an exo-cage up the front side of the door, across the windshield and up the backside of the door across the roof.
The rest of the body panels are easy to fix or replace but the door pillars front and back and the windshield are really a problem once they take a hit.
Unless gun powder can fix sheetmetal as well.......
Mmmm, maybe I can get that dent out..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its already in the works Johno I just have to rent a tube bender one of these weekends and finish my flatbed with a nice roll bar. and over the cab 2.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friends have been trying to tell me that I'm a *******, maybe now I should just admit it and go on

(ps anyone have any good looking sheep 4 sale?)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This is very scary, effective but scary .........
Things like this keep me at work all night sometimes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
lol you are nuts!!......orginal but nuts . thats something i might do hehe...glad it worked out ok for ya

·
Registered
189 Posts
kaboom

i think we have the next junkyard wars team leader

·
Registered
27 Posts
dp said:
This is very scary, effective but scary .........
Things like this keep me at work all night sometimes.
I'm guessing you work at EMERGENCY, either that or the Darwin Awards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts