BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 89 yj with the 258 six and a carb it has 34x9.50 swampers with 4.88 gears its a five speed ...heres the prob it will pull like a freight train to 2800 rpm then its like it hits a wall no power just stops pulling at all so here is my question is it the carb ??ignition is this common ? or something else and what can i do to fix it cause it is a real pain on hills any help would be great...

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your jeep has all of the stock computer crap still intacked, take it to jeep thrills and talk to craig he will cut all of the fuel feed back stuff and you get better gas milage and higher reves from your i6.It costs about $300. I did it with my cj and it runs so much better.

------------------
1985 cj7 custom 6inch lift,full cage,$25 paint job,engine done to the tits,mud tires,cb,member of bone shakers 4x4 club.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have an 87 YJ and I can haul ass at 4000RPM
I am in 5th on the highway...
So not sure what the problem is.

I do know my 4cyl was so gutless it was painful to drive through town when I had it.

------------------
1987 3" lifted YJ with 31" KOs new paint etc.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by mr jeep:
If your jeep has all of the stock computer crap still intacked, take it to jeep thrills and talk to craig he will cut all of the fuel feed back stuff and you get better gas milage and higher reves from your i6.It costs about $300. I did it with my cj and it runs so much better.
I forget the guy's name who wrote the article but if you do a Google search for

carburetor computer bypass jeep

you will probably find the article that details how to bypass the computer control for the carburetor.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about the Nutter bypass. In fact I have read many posting on JeepForum regarding the 3000rpm wall. The two most recommended upgrades are the Ford ignition upgrade and the Nutter bypass. Apparently your Jeep will get improved fuel economy and rev like a king. I haven't done this upgrade but I am seriously thinking about it. Check these sites for more info on the TFI upgrade:
http://www.jeepz.com/offroad/howto/engine/tfi/
http://www.trailhed.com/images/6cylUpgrade.txt

Cheers,

Spalding

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i did the nutter bypass tonite and all i can say is HOLY CRAP !!!! what a difference it made it hauls ass now .....thanks everyone for all the input and thanks Lars for the website to get the info ...as far as jeep thrills charging 300. bucks for doing that upgrade i think thats a little steep considering i did the whole conversion in about 20 minutes and all i had to buy was one vacum tee and a roll of 16 gauge wire ....anyhow thanks alot again ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.