BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i change the GVW of my full size 85 blazer to 5001?
its registered as a station wagon, not a truck right?
i already chopped my cats off and chucked them away... :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just tried to do that but had no success, It is hard to find an insurance agent that will help with the info you need. i managed to get some papers on changing the gvw of a truck, but I could not find anything on changing the gvw of a Blazer, which is classed as a passenger vehicle by ICBC not a truck. According to ICBC my K5 Blazer is not capable of towing a race car on a trailer to race at Mission ?????? This would most certianly be over 5000 lbs gvw???? but a 1/2 ton P/U is and would need it's gvw increased to be properly insured. You should also know that there is an added cost to your insurance (about $100 a year) and possibly a cost to changing the designation of a truck.
Check things out and let me know if you have more success than I did.
Ken

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yeah, there's no GVW classification for a station wagon - so raising the gvw is a moot point.

According to ICBC (I've found it in their website before) you need to raise the GVW of a commercial vehicle (aka pickups, etc) to include the weight of the trailer you are towing.

This is where "station wagons" like Blazers, Jimmys and Suburbans shine because you can legally tow right up to the mfr's rating without any insurance increases.

I know one guy who got VI'd with his Blazer-turned-pickup. Seems he kept using the VIN, reggy, and plates from the Blazer after he swapped a pickup and cab and super-short box onto the frame. If you turn your Blazer into a pickup, make sure its registered as a pickup when you're done ;)

G

·
i raised the gvw on my pick up to 5100 and it only costs about 24 dollars a year not sure in the blazer though check your dor post and if it says over 5100 kg. your ok

·
Registered
94 Posts
yeah, i did the same with my truck. a friend of mine upped the gvw on his blazer about four or five years ago. i don`t know any details on this but if i find out i will post back.

·
Registered
536 Posts
if you have a truck plate you can raise the gvw you will need to apply for a nsc number first if you have car plates like most blazers do, you can not raise the gvw since you dont have one..but ounce you get the nsc number you have it for life so its easier the next time round.oh just so you know watch ware you go to get your gvw raised some places may make you get a vi first

·
Registered
7 Posts
nsc#

just wondering what the nsc# is i'm sticking a 1 ton suspension
under my jimmy and putting it through a v.i. and hoping to up my gvw to 5100 and get rid of this stupid air care stuff so your help
would be greatfull thanks,
show off

·
Registered
591 Posts
so if ur above 5000 u dont need aircare.

now i believe i heard this right that infact when u bump your gvw u gotta pay more insurance, cuz i talked to a guy whos orignal gcw was 3800 and he bumped it to 7800 or so (towing trailors) and his insurance climbed 30 bucks a month...now air care is only 50 bucks, so i say figure out what ur rates will do, and whether its worth it to save urself the 50 bucks u have to pay aircare.

my .02

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
7800kg licensed GVW is overkill for anything 1-tonish. The Aircare cut is 5001kg, so 5050kg will be adequate. It cost me something like $50/year to go from 4600kg to 5050kg on my 1-ton crewcab. The hassle of Aircare far exceeds $50, IMO.

Once you hit 5500kg, you need annual inspections, and you have to report to scales. :(

·
Registered
536 Posts
my truck is 6500kg need that for towing and i dont need to go over the scales or have an annual inspection .depends on the class your in.if your cartage then yes but if only for towing private then no.keep in mind if you tow with a pickup the weight of the trailer and cargo and your truck fall under your gvw.hense my crewcab (weighs7000lbs)my trailer and regular pickup or 4x4 on the trailer i'm at my limit

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I raised the gvw's on my 3/4 ton, from 3700 to 5001, and it cost me an extra $66 a year. Definetly worth while, considering air care costs $24 plus the tune down, then tune back up. I didn't have any problems with having to get inspections, or nsc number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts